Glass fish

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Glass fish

Post by kartoffelngeist »

Hiya,

Looking to pick people's brains with mounting some funny bits again!

A customer brought in this glass fish. She wants it floating in front of the mount in a box frame of some description. Obviously she wants it suspended in mid-air with no visible support, but I've ran out of the miniature anti-gravity devices which customers seem to think we use!

I've done similar things on rectangular glass pieces but this is quite an irregular shape.

It does look a lot nicer away from the mount, so I'd really like to do this somehow. I wondered about two Perspex rods and somehow attaching it and inch or so from some white mountboard.
Also wondered about some kind of lighting, but that's getting a bit ahead of myself!

Anyone done anything like this before and might have some advice?
Attachments
IMAG0793.jpg
IMAG0793.jpg (2.92 MiB) Viewed 3651 times
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

Roboframer

Re: Glass fish

Post by Roboframer »

A very simple way would be to space a piece of optium acrylic 25 mm away from the backing mount with foam board spacers and then space that away from the glass the same way. Drill holes in the acrylic and mount the fish to it with melinex straps.

If the glazing was also optically coated it would look uncanny. Optium is not cheap but this would not need a large piece, see what Wessex or someone can do.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Making perspex pillars was my first thought. You would have to drill them out lengthwise to
let you thread melinex straps though to form a loop. Pass the tails though a hole in the board and
secure them very firmly at the back. This would allow you to have floating hight of you choice but
it would be tad fiddly.

Robo's idea is the elegant solution. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
kartoffelngeist

prospero wrote:
Robo's idea is the elegant solution. :wink:
Elegant is just the right word.

Brilliant idea!
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

kartoffelngeist

Tried to get a photo of the finished product, you can almost see the floating effect but it looks a lot better in real life.

Went for the acrylic option (used ordinary acrylic to keep costs down for the customer, looks good though).

Thanks for the suggestions!
Attachments
IMAG0855.jpg
IMAG0855.jpg (2.81 MiB) Viewed 3520 times
Thanks,

andrew
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Great result!

IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

looks good!