Logan 450-1 Artist Elite Mount Cutter

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
DMBN
Organisation: N/A
Interests: Contemporary art, music, football, cycling.

Logan 450-1 Artist Elite Mount Cutter

Post by DMBN »

Does anyone have the above bit of kit? And if so, is it any good? I've recently started up by myself and need to get a mount cutter (up until now I've been getting my mounts cut for me) but I simply don't have the money to get a Keencut (even second-hand they're a bit too pricey for me). The Logan, brand new, is really affordable but I think is aimed more at the hobby framing market. I've watched a few YouTube videos though and I actually quite like the look of it. I don't have a huge volume of work (my little business is definitely at the 'quiet' end of the scale at the moment) so I wouldn't be working it too hard. In the not too distant future I'll hopefully be able to splash out on a Keencut, but until then I think the Logan looks like my best bet. Would be grateful to hear anyone's personal views of this machine, positive or negative.
Cheers.
Roboframer

Re: Logan 450-1 Artist Elite Mount Cutter

Post by Roboframer »

I've never owned one but have watched youtube vids on it and other notquiteakeencutfutura models out of curiosity after enquiries like yours.

I was taught to cut mounts with a Stanley knife and a straight edge and I think I might have cut one or two mounts like that which were almost acceptable, but the guy that taught me got great results every time ... he could also cut a perfect bevelled oval free handed. (Well, that's how it looked to me at the time, I'd like a re-wind!)

I splashed out on a Maped mountcutter, a straight edge with groove for a blade magazine, you had to draw guidelines and eyeball the start and end of cut ... and in time I got results from good to perfectwithoutamagnifyingglass.

This logan has a mat margin and an end of cut stop and with practice you'll get good results - just like my first tutor did with his Stanley knife but much faster.

When you upgrade to a gold or a futura you'll really appreciate it.

DMBN
Organisation: N/A
Interests: Contemporary art, music, football, cycling.

Post by DMBN »

Thanks for the reply. I'd like to think that I could get half-decent results with the Logan and being able to pick up a brand new one for under £200 is a real pull.
prospero

Post by prospero »

This is a case where you have to spend enough to get your moneys worth.

Spend 200 on a Logan or 400 on a s/h Keencut?

It's a no-brainer. :lol:

My advice would be to carry on as you are now and keep your eyes open.
Keep checking the ads section of this Forum. :wink:

* If you see a decent C&H, grab it.

A Keencut will tend to hold it's value. I doubt whether the Logan would.

btw. It doesn't take long to knacker 200 quids worth of mountboard with an inferior machine.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Yes its a hobby machine and you will want to upgrade anyway within a year or less. I would save another 200 and go for a keen cut.

If you are trying to run a professional business then you need professional equipment, thats what your competitors will be doing and it will show in your work. Remeber you will be also up against someone who use CMC which the quality of cut is taken to another level.

I would continue getting your mounts cut as you are they will probably better quality than what you could cut with a logan and if they are not then they should be and change supplier. :giggle:
Kenneycm
Organisation: Elite Framing
Interests: Cars, framing

Post by Kenneycm »

There is a C & H advantage pro for sale on fleabay just now but it is £400 + £50 postage.. give easypopsgcf a message on here.. they had 1 for sale some time ago that I was going to buy before I invested in the Gunnar F1. It was quite a while ago, but you never know, he may still have it tucked away in the workshop
Gillthepainter
Organisation: Crescent Art Space
Interests: Painting, frame making, sourdough baking

Post by Gillthepainter »

Yes, I have the above cutter.
It's a great machine for basic mounts. And holds the board fast, whilst you cut .... so no wobbly edges or over cuts. It does a super job.

But someone asked me a favour to cut them a double mount. And it is not accurate enough to do the job. Or I'm not accurate enough. One line does not really sit fine with another line.

It is limited to 81cms too. So a frame size bigger and the board won't fit in the area.

As with anything framer related, you'll probably end up needing something better almost immediately, if it's more than your own work you are mounting.
So go for a better machine as advised.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Don't. I had one for a short while. Replaced it with a Keencut.

It doesn't give professional-looking results. It's OK for things A3-sized, I guess, but anything bigger, or double mounts etc. etc. forget it. You will hate it.

Buy cheap, buy twice.