Hand finished stone effect

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
prospero

Post by prospero »

I have got another one on the go. :D This time I used Unibond for the PVA constiuent. I had a Box of Pollyfilla powder, but I used some pumice powder that was hanging about. It gives the mixture a slightly grey look.
Talking of tinting. I routinely mix dry powder paint with ripple paint. You can get quite a lot in and the paint will absorb it. Some of my samples are at least 15years old and no signs of deterioration. You can get concentrated pigments in liquid form at your local DIY shed.

Anyhow I can't tell the finished result until the morning when it has had time to harden. I sprinkled some dry pumice on the wet surface and also some yellow and brown dry pigment. At the moment it looks, well errrrrr....intriquing. :roll:

*The leather effect is a piece of whatsit. :D A couple of coats of manky brown (raw umber+dab of white) followed by well diluted black. Stipple and dab with a paper towel.
Wax/wirewool and polish whe thoroughly dry. The 'orange peel' surface of the greyboard works in your favour here. Notice on the demo how I've left the black heavier in the corners. Nice touch. It doesn't really simulate leather, rather it simulates imitation leather.
One thing though. To use a waxed finish mount under glass can have wierd effects if you don't space the glass away.

For old faded velvet, get some mid-toned mountboard, red or green works best. If you can get an Ingrés paper, so much the better: It simulates the weave lines. Just splodge it with diluted black or dark brown in a random manner. It looks awful until it dries. When it's under glass the effect is quite uncanny (don't wax it).
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
fineedge

Re: Hand finished stone effect

Post by fineedge »

OK so this is not quite as textured but the customer brought in these tiles she had made and turned into an ethnic type lot and she gave me carte blanche in the framing. I thought a wide frame with a feel related to the tiles could work so started off blackening areas of the moulding with a sponge
rene 1.jpg
rene 1.jpg (65.8 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
then sponged on some white
rene 2.jpg
rene 2.jpg (47.88 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
covered whole lot with a beige wash
rene 3.jpg
rene 3.jpg (33.72 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
only 3 attachments ! OK
Alan
fineedge

Post by fineedge »

waxed then put on darker wash buffed off with steel wool to allow the grain to come up
rene 4.jpg
rene 4.jpg (51.78 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
then spattered on some light and dark speckle
rene 5.jpg
rene 5.jpg (66.99 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
I sunk the tiles and the big bead into the mount, added a natural ethic slip washed in black which covered the edges of the box (John's favorite cuckoo clock type but it wasn't too deep and the frame is about 100mm wide so it looks OK
rene 6.jpg
rene 6.jpg (71.38 KiB) Viewed 1638 times
Alan
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Post by Spit »

Nice!

Just a tad more subtle than my sledgehammer to crack a nut effort!
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : My status