How to assess second hand machines?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
vixSA
Organisation: TBC
Interests: Reading, crafting, photography, cooking

How to assess second hand machines?

Post by vixSA »

I'm busy shopping for my workshop machines and want to get them second hand to save money. I saw two machines this morning (a Morso guillotine and an A1 under pinner) which are reasonably well priced but not an amazing bargain. However, they have both been sitting in a workshop for 2.5 years without being used. The mechanisms felt quite sticky and there was rust on both the machines but I'm not sure if they are worth considering if I have them both serviced? Or am I better to go for something in better cosmetic condition from the get go? As I'm a newbie and learning as I go it's a bit of a minefield assessing equipment.

Any suggestions for what to look for when assessing second hand machines?
Regards,
Vickie
prospero

Re: How to assess second hand machines?

Post by prospero »

Morsos are pretty much indestructible and light rust is nothing to be put off by. A clean up with WD-40 and steel wool is
maybe all that is needed, plus a light oiling of the cutter block guideway. The main thing is the blades. As long as they are
sharpened properly then it should work fine. Mine is 40 years old this year - I bought it new. :lol:

As for underpinners, they are more complicated and need more attention. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

When I bought my Morso, I just assumed it was o.k. As an ex-engineer, this was a bit stupid, but I was a bit too excited about the chance to get a morso. Fortunately everything was alright. So a few basics to consider:

Most of us prefer to used a metric Morso model F which is the most modern type.

Look for wear causing errors in the measurement system, or excessive wear in the knife block slides, make a test cut to check. Sloppy knife block movement can contrubute to errors in cutting length, maybe not huge,but still noticeable. My own Morso has a 1mm error in the cutting accuracy, I just have to remember to add an extra !mm to required length when setting the cut stop.

An old Morso with a bit of wear is not a show stopper, you just learn to allow for any small problems.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

*One tell-tale sign if a Morso has had a hard life - Look at the pedal where it pivots in the arms. If the holes are
elongated it's had a lot of use. I've seen some where the pivots had almost worn though the the outsides of the arms. :roll:
Nothing that could not be easily put right, but it could be a bargaining point. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Assessing secondhand underpinners is a bit less straightfoward. If it''s a manual underpinner, I expect it to have a good smooth feel when you operate it. If it's not so smooth, then I would want to investigate why this should be so. Personally, I would not necessarily rule out an older machine, like a Euro, or a pistorius manual underpinner if it was not going to see too much workload, if the machine seemed in good order and the asking price was tempting.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer