CMC Designs

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

CMC Designs

Post by Spit »

With many of you becoming proud owners of CMCs this year, I thought I might bring up the idea of a design repository again, which would probably end up taking residence in the Oracle.

I have a few points (Corel Draw pun intended) to be addressed before starting though.... including finding out if anyone else is interested!

1) It would obviously be best if all submissions were in the same file format, preferably one that can be used by all machines. I know Gunnars can import Windows Meta File (*.wmf) and I suspect other makes can as well - can a Wizard/Valiani/Other makes owner please confirm this and let me know if there are any issues? I will provide a sample file below to test this theory!

2) Keeping the designs machine-unspecific means that v-grooves, reverse bevels and the like will have to be set manually after you import the shapes. Would it be better to have a standard colour coding (say red for v-grooves, blue for reverse bevel, green for normal top mat opening, purple for second mat opening, etc) or would it be easier just to have a txt file included with a few notes on how to use the shape?

3) Considering the above, would you prefer machine specific files with everything ready set as well to make it easier (if so, it'll need volunteers for each machine to convert them)

If there's anyone out there that wants to help with this, please let me know. Well here's a test file use right-click & save as here.....

And this is what it's supposed to produce, v-groove outside & double mat openings..... I'll try and use a darker mount next time so that the v-grooves show better!

http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : My status
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

I dont think I can actually import anything on a wizard other than wzx files or wiz files, but i can use path trace to manually copy your design from the image download. I had a go, took about five minutes (and thats only the 2nd time ive used path trace, the bundled wizard program on top of mat designer).

Wizard would charge $50 for same.

If there is a standard colour key - eg white outside cut, red inside cut, green v groove or whatever, that may be useful to all users.
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Post by Spit »

Can you try a direct copy/paste? That is - open the file in open office draw (if you have it) or corel draw, select all, copy, and then in the wizard software, paste (control-v may work).
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : My status
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Can you convert to either .PLT files or .DXF files.

Valiani can import both into their software.

Others have to go through Corel
John GCF
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

no problem importing the file as an image, into wizard path trace. But its still a manual excercise to copy over the image.
WizSteve

Post by WizSteve »

FYI, PathTrace can import DXF files... in fact, I'm pretty sure every CMC brand supports DXF in some fashion.

The problem with DXFs though is that there's 100 ways under sun to specify arcs, so not every program that saves a DXF (e.g. Corel, Abode Illustrator, Auto CAD, Visio, etc.) saves it the same way.
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

Seems to me as if it would be a good idea to have a generic library of, preferably, DXF files - or whatever template authors can manage - as well as specific libraries for each brand of CMC.

Original authors could be asked to generate generic copies of their templates. Anyone who then translates them for a specific CMC would then submit those to the specific CMC library.

It would save duplicating work that had already been done by others.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status