Concord Compressor blade

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Roboframer

Concord Compressor blade

Post by Roboframer »

This was a headache - I didn't want to spoil the profile of the blade with formed rods or any sort of clamp - I tried a few different types of strap, but they all stuck out like sore thumbs, plus the top left of the blade is about 3" above the mounting board and you can see under it easily.

All that touches the board is the 'hilt' and the top right tip of the blade.

I made a concealed shelf for the blade to sit on and used coated wire at two points, in one of the grooves and just above the hilt - I know you can see it but it was the lesser of two evils I'm afraid.

The wire is tightly wound at the back and passes through metal eyelets there's no movement at all.

Dark backing, inner frame lined with the same (after about 30mm of foam board strips) lacquered black frame and box, museum glass - what a nightmare for flumbs, especially as the glass had to be inserted and stay open to dust etc until the lined spacers were fixed in.

Concorde.JPG
ConcordeII.JPG
silvercleave
Organisation: thought I was
Interests: Working to put food on table

Re: Concord Compressor blade

Post by silvercleave »

Wow! another beautiful job fom Robo :clap:

How about the rest of Concorde? are you framing it in bits?? :D

Ian
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I'm always in bits!

Both inner and outer frames are from Simons - same range, references to follow tomorrow - you can't really see the outer, it's a 3" flat profile mitred on its side and the frame you can see sits inside the rebate that that creates.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi John,

Nice!

I like the addition of the eyelets. Not everyone would think of doing it like that. As usual another superb job! :clap:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Well, thanks, but I really would have liked to lose that wire - it was just the least conspicuous method I could come up with that held it at the 'business end'

If in time I come up with anything better I'll happily recall it.

As for the eyelets, we sell them in many colours for card-making etc - they served a dual purpose, strength and cosmetics (even if you do have to try really hard to see them under the blade) I did try darker ones but the wire bared them - I also tried painting them after - made a right mess.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Moulding refs COSM/002 (sides) COSM/0006 (top) Simons catalogue P63
concordeIII.jpg
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

That is so classy, John! :clap:

But then, we expect that of you! :D ;)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.