who sells the cheapest Mountboard - White Core ?

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
upload
Organisation: alloa
Interests: movies

who sells the cheapest Mountboard - White Core ?

Post by upload »

looking to buy Mountboard - White Core. who sell the cheapest delivered out there , any ideas?

thanks.
always look an the bright side of life...
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Re: who sells the cheapest Mountboard - White Core ?

Post by mikeysaling »

how much do you use - is it worth faffing around with - use the guys that give you good service ! you must already have a supplier.
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Simons used to do a range called 'keyline' or something like.

The core stayed white but the surface paper faded as it was being unpacked (slight exaggeration) - in fact the off-whites went darker!

I think they still do something similar.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Whoever it is I bet it won't be for long as mountboard will be going up in price across the board (no pun intended) soon.

I wouldn't dump a reliable supplier at this time for short term savings.
Jonny2morsos

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Roboframer wrote:Simons used to do a range called 'keyline' or something like.

The core stayed white but the surface paper faded as it was being unpacked (slight exaggeration) - in fact the off-whites went darker!

I think they still do something similar.
They still do. It is Colourmount without the colour code number printed on the back and the range is most of the useful whites/off whites and the popular colours.
mikeysaling

Post by mikeysaling »

absolutely - if you have a good supplier - stay with it it - i always use arqadia but well whoever - they are good reliable stable and consistent
Jonny2morsos

Post by Jonny2morsos »

There are a number of variables here.

Do you want to buy a large quantity of one colour as a one off purchase or are you looking for a regular supply of one sheet of this one sheet of that.

I bought in some stock recently on a quantity deal and took a range of colours but if I sell all my stock of one colour and go back just to top up on that colour for a small order I will pay 50% more per sheet.

Changing mountboard suppliers is a PITA as I have found recently due to a wholesaler going out of business. Customers come back and ask for "the same as you did for me last time" then you have to explain.............

In my case I can truefully tell them the supplying company is no longer in business but if you have to tell them you have changed suppliers to save a few pence per sheet ................ well I will leave that for you to explain.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Jonny2morsos wrote:
In my case I can truefully tell them the supplying company is no longer in business but if you have to tell them you have changed suppliers to save a few pence per sheet ................ well I will leave that for you to explain.
Aw C'mon - you don't tell your customers the truth do you?

"I'm sorry Mr Green but I'm afraid your frame due for collection on Sat won't be ready until next Sat - out of stock at the supplier" (I forgot to order your moulding/I thought I had enough but it was strategically damaged in a recent avalanche/I screwed up in some other way)

"That colour board has been discontinued by the supplier" (I hate it and I don't know why I ever took that range on in the first place)

etc :D
mikeysaling

Post by mikeysaling »

to be really honest - its like our customers - if we provide what they want at a reasonable price - how many would punt around to save a few quid on a frame?? mine never do ( most are british legeon) i dont screw them and they are loyal to me.same with my suppliers and i dont mind putting into this i deal with arqadia lion and tomorrow tabmaster and thats my lot - glass i have from a co in cambridge hinton

there you go its on my sleve
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

mikeysaling wrote:to be really honest - its like our customers - if we provide what they want at a reasonable price - how many would punt around to save a few quid on a frame??
A flip-side is showing them something they never realised they wanted because they never knew it existed, but now they do ...... they want that instead - so you're still giving them what they want, and, if you get it right it's pointless them punting around because they won't find it anywhere else.
Tim
Organisation: Deepwell Framing
Interests: Photography, Growing it, Cooking it, Eating it. Sauvignon Blanc. Syrah.

Post by Tim »

My 2pth

For mountboard, I try to only buy from people who own the vans that make the deliveries. Actually that goes for the glass and mouldings too :)
Youth and experience are no match for age and treachery...
simons rep

Post by simons rep »

Hi Upload,

Simons do a Slater and Harrison mountboard that they call KEY RANGE , they also do Colourmount...for best prices i would suggest you contact Daniel Simons direct on 0207 749 8205.

Many Thanks

Stewart Cawte
TabbyAnn
Organisation: Tabmaster Uk Ltd
Interests: Framing

Post by TabbyAnn »

Hi

Tabmaster have a really good quality range of white core mountboard, 1400 mic thick. In a range of 11 popular colours. :wink:
upload
Organisation: alloa
Interests: movies

Post by upload »

thanks for the replies.

I dont have a supplier yet , As im not up and running yet. I have never bought mountboard before.

Getting my Gunner f1 next week.
always look an the bright side of life...
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Solid glass have their own range of white core mountboard in a limited range of colours. It's called "Solid Art". I don't know who makes it for them, but the prices are very reasonable and the quality is o.k. too.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Knowing a little about mount board having sold around 38,000,000 sheets in my previous career, can I make a few observations.

It amazes me that any bespoke framer (and I think thats most of you on this forum) would even contemplate using "the cheapest" mount board - which will mean a thin cream core. In many continental countries its impossible to even buy cream core - the distributors stopped selling it years ago. In Norway in the early 90's I got laughed at for trying to sell cream core. " We haven't used that stuff for years" :head: , and as a result of that humiliation, white core was added to the Colourmount range pdq. :clap:

Most northern continental stockists ONLY stock museum quality, and conservation quality white core. Not a sheet of cream in sight

What does a sheet of mountboard cost you? Whether its cream core or white core it still costs peanuts compared with the price of the finished frame you sell to Joe Public. So why spoil all your hard work by trying to save a bob or two with a naff cream core board, where the bevel turns brown later.

Isn't it time to stop using cream core and give your customers a decent board, with a core that stays white, a nice thickness of bevel edge, and a quality that will protect their artwork?

Can one of you who knows the comaprable prices say how much will it add to the cost if you use a decent board on say a job that is 40 x 60 cm ?
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
sim.on
Organisation: Hertfordshire
Interests: Classic cars

Post by sim.on »

I always keep an eye on ebay for mouldings and board. But then I'm a home framer. Recenlty got 150 sheets of 1524 x 1016 Arqadia 2000 micron whitecore conservation board which worked out at 1.73 per sheet including delivery (weren't that far away).
mikeallen
Organisation: amateur photographer
Interests: Photography

Post by mikeallen »

give cadremont a go - they will sell bespoke items - mount board comes into that category I think, I occaisonally cut my own mounts for one off bits of work.
Having said that - sometimes it's not worth the hassle and Ive given them a design and theyve cut it for me - hope that helps some.
Keep calm and carry on I use these for my Mounts and general stuff
Picture Mounts - Made to measure mounts and things
Jared Davis CPF, GCF
Organisation: Www.jareddavis.com.au
Interests: CMC's, Running

Post by Jared Davis CPF, GCF »

upload wrote:looking to buy Mountboard - White Core. who sell the cheapest delivered out there , any ideas?.
Hi Upload -

From one "Gunnar" guy to another - Please consider Jared's "thought for the day...." :)

There's no such thing as "cheap".... there's just "pay now" or "pay later"....

You're at a new starting point for your business with your new Gunnar F1 CMC, so please allow me to share a secret with you -

Never forget, your business' reputation is always based on the quality of your work, and the materials you use.

If you offer "the best" - you will be "the best"...

If you only offer "mediocre", then you can never expect your business to be any better than mediocre... that's an un-arguable fact.

Don't take any of this personally... but I've learned this lesson more than once - "at the end of the day, you always get what you pay for..."

Just think twice before placing an order for "the cheapest" you can find...

Happy matcutting!

Jared
yankee
Organisation: framer
Interests: picture framing golf

Post by yankee »

fw holroyd are based in glasgow and sell arqadia daler and bainbridge mountboard quite reasonbly priced daler and arqadia are about 3.60 top price but will give u discount if u buy a good enough amount bainbridge is more expensive but far better quality which no one can argue with. i would give holroyds a phone theyre number is 01417661030 a very helpful bunch of people ive always found.