Electricity supplier came round and changed my meter

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Electricity supplier came round and changed my meter

Post by Not your average framer »

Has anyone else had this problem. My electricity supplier informed me that my meter was scheduled for replacement, then came round and replaced it. The only problem is that the new meter is recording approximately double the number of units I used to use.

Unlike many people, I have a pretty good idea of how many units my shop uses each day, as I've invested in as much energy efficient equipment as practical and know how many watts everything uses. Something is definately not right and so far I getting flobbed off.

Has anyone else had this happen?

BTW, I thought that the meter belonged to Transpower (who own the national distribution network), but it was the electricity supplier who decided to change the meter.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Re: Electricity supplier came round and changed my meter

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Interesting one that. My meter says "Property of East Midlands Electricity Board" and they are long gone.

Perhaps someone will enlighten us.

I moved into a new house about ten years ago (since moved) and the builder gave the elec. company the wrong meter number so when the meters were read by the chap who took the number with his barcode reader i was actually paying for someone elses electric. It took about two years to sort that one out!
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

Might be worth investing in one of those wireless metering devices that clip on to the tails coming from the meter and display the consumption on remote unit. Some suppliers give them away free on certain tariffs but I bought one in our local electric shop for about £35. Shows instantaneous use along with cumulative totals and cost per hour and cost since last reset.

At least that would provide some evidence to argue with.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I've borrowed a clip-on energy monitoring device. It's called a "Current Cost CC128 ENVI" One bit clips onto your incoming electricity supply and the other (remote unit) plugs into any convenient wall socket and communicates with the other by radio link.

It's quite helpful as it tells you how much you current consumption would cost per week and per month. In some cases it can be a real eye opener. I'm still not happy with my electricity bill, but it is gonna take me a few more days to determine if the new meter is inaccurate as I suspect.

I may even buy one of the devices to use on a permanent basis in the shop.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

It's worth checking up Mark. I had a bad experience with a new meter. I think that the power companies sub out meter replacing and some of the contractors are a bit iffy. One day I put the kettle on and as luck would have it, decided to take some kitchen rubbish out. The meter is in a box outside and as I passed it I noticed black smoke pouring out. Fair dos to the lecky co, they had someone out and fixed it pronto, but if I hadn't just walked outside at that moment just when there was a bit extra load on the system I would never have noticed. Couple of wires not tightened up. It's not unknown to have a Nights unit and Day units meter arse about face. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

I have had the natural gas meter replaced twice in the last 14 years. I think that they think that I have tampered with the meter to reduce my reported consumption.

I have reduced my consumption; but, I have not tampered with the meter. I have just set back the thermostat more than I used to set it at.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com