Pistorius Problems

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
bsaunders
Organisation: Hythe
Interests: Picture Framing, Interior Design, Collecting art, Garden maintenance,

Pistorius Problems

Post by bsaunders »

Hi
I have been reading an old thread (April/May 2012) about the Pistorius under pinner.
I bought one second-hand about 18 months ago, but have started to experience problems.
There seems to be considerable resistance before the V nail is finally pushed into place.
This also has a tendency to push the mitre open at the front, preventing me making a nice tight, invisible joint.
Does anyone have any advice?
The under-pinner is about 13 years old, but has not had heavy-duty use. It is kept clean of tape and adhesive residue, and the mechanism seems to be nice and tight and free moving. There was some movement around the bearings, which has now been remedied.
I would appreciate any help/advice.
Bev
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Pistorius Problems

Post by Not your average framer »

You say that considerable force required to insert the wedges, but also that the mechanism is moving freely.
Is it possible that the wedges have been loaded upside down, so that it is the blunt end which is driving into the wood, instead of the sharp end?

Other than that, there's not much to go wrong with a manual Pistorius.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I agree with Mark, but I will ask my father who has had one of these machines for the last 18 years for his thoughts.
Ryan Montgomery
Organisation: None
Interests: Photography

Post by Ryan Montgomery »

I have one of these, check that the metal shelf (that moves up and down) for the wedges is nice and tight. I find that if there is movement it can cause problems.

I wish I could get a new head / pressure pad? for mine, or a compatible one if anyone can point me in the right direction?
bsaunders
Organisation: Hythe
Interests: Picture Framing, Interior Design, Collecting art, Garden maintenance,

Post by bsaunders »

Many thanks for your advice.
I have checked and double checked that the "V" nails are the right way round.
I have been using Mitre Tite universal wedges, but understand that Inmes now produce specifically for the Pistorius.
I have a few areas to look at, and hopefully get things running smoothly, but would be pleased to hear any advice from your Father.
Thanks again to everyone.

Bev