Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
yankee
Organisation: framer
Interests: picture framing golf

minerva moulding

Post by yankee »

i have recently started to use the minerva range of mouldiings and i must admit its a pretty decent looking range.ive always had reservations about using plastic which is why i charge different prices for getting things framed in plastic and wood.but i have recently found a problem when im joining the frame together it doesnt match theres a wee step which is quite noticeable.ive checked my underpinner to make sure its not fireing wedges wrong does anyone else have this problem
Dave

Re: minerva moulding

Post by Dave »

You haven't received much help on this one, I personally don't use minerva, so cant offer much.

Recently though I bought a painting from an artist and reframed it. A customer liked the discarded frame and rather than throw it, asked me to cut it down. It was only when I went to cut it, I realised it was plastic, I couldn't tell you whether it was minerva or another make. The finish therefore must have been pretty good. When I went to cut it though it was totally different to cutting a wodden frame, and I wasn't happy with the raggy cut finish. When I went to join it, I set the stops where I normally put them for wooden frames. The joint opened out at the front face when I put the inner wedge in, the rear wedge burst out of the back of the frame ruining it. All I can say from this, is that they need handling very differently from wooden frames and there must be somone using it regularly who can offer some help.

I would suggest a search through the forum, as I can recall discussions in the past on minerva, but as I don't use it have never taken that much notice.

Dave
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: minerva moulding

Post by pramsay13 »

There have been a few topics on this if you do a search for plastic or polcore mouldings.
I personally don't like using them although I've had to do a few for customers when I've to match a previous moulding.
I use bison glue and hold the two edges together far longer than I would normally (around 15 seconds) before pinning them.
When pinning I don't go past halfway on the outside edge as it starts to push the outside edge open if too near.
Try these things and see how you get on.
Or ditch the plastic and return to wood :P