Other uses for mouldings

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Other uses for mouldings

Post by Keith Hewitt »

WALES SEPT  2013 063.jpg
WALES SEPT 2013 063.jpg (83.57 KiB) Viewed 7100 times
Saw this somewhat unusual use of a moulding - presenting the bill, and thought should we start a topic. :idea:

"OTHER USES FOR MOULDINGS"

I'm sure many of you will have been asked to use mouldings for other than a picture frame
So if you have a picture, then please post it and let us all share the examples.
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: Other uses for mouldings

Post by Steve N »

Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
mitretight
Organisation: ....
Interests: Squash, Tennis, Cooking, Drinking.

Post by mitretight »

This Oak moulding finished our new floor, where it met the stairs, very nicely!

MT
Attachments
Oak.jpg
Oak.jpg (416.7 KiB) Viewed 7002 times
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

You can use picture frame moulding for window frames, Skirting, Architrave, some Dado & Picture Rails
prospero

Post by prospero »

Kwik Picture Framing wrote:You can use picture frame moulding for window frames, Skirting, Architrave, some Dado & Picture Rails

And vice-versa. :clap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Organisation: CTS
Interests: Photography

Post by 590 »

I went to the China Expo this year and they make jewellery boxes out of them, really amazing and beautiful if the more expensive mouldings are used. But the time taken is not worth the price.
Kwik Picture Framing

How was the show in China Expo? is it worth going to buy direct?

Post by 590 »

Kwik Picture Framing wrote:How was the show in China Expo? is it worth going to buy direct?
Disappointing really for moulding side. We managed to finish it in 1.5 days. The other 5 days we did factory visits with a few companies. The show was concentrated more on photography, canvas, printing etc rather than on mouldings.
Kwik Picture Framing

Yeah we went to the canton fair guangzhou a few years back, it was a massive show, but only 2-3 moulding suppliers, 1 which I met in the NEC, so importing mouldings China is very risking and have to buy in container load, by the time they shipped it over, paid customs and duty, tax and storage etc etc, it will cost you the same. Its better to buy from the UK where the quality is guaranteed and they buy big and you can buy in any quantity. Did you see any frameless mirror, glass suppliers at the show?

Post by 590 »

Kwik Picture Framing wrote:Yeah we went to the canton fair guangzhou a few years back, it was a massive show, but only 2-3 moulding suppliers, 1 which I met in the NEC, so importing mouldings China is very risking and have to buy in container load, by the time they shipped it over, paid customs and duty, tax and storage etc etc, it will cost you the same. Its better to buy from the UK where the quality is guaranteed and they buy big and you can buy in any quantity. Did you see any frameless mirror, glass suppliers at the show?
We saw some glass suppliers but didn't really concentrate on them. Problem is if they are even slightly off, the whole container will be useless. With mouldings, you will always get rejects when importing directly but it depends on the supplier. For example we ordered a container of one moulding a few months ago and instead of black they sent very dark brown...
Kwik Picture Framing

Its very difficult dealing with them, they all want L/Cs first awel . Anyway we live and learn :D Nice to meet you
Tangent
Organisation: Colour It You
Interests: Various crafts

Post by Tangent »

Thank you Keith for causing me to ponder other uses for mouldings.

I checked my list of things still to be designed for my home and have now finally come up with a great idea that solves one of my design quandaries!

I love the idea of reed diffusers to fragrance a room and a while back I obtained a user authorisation certificate from HMRC so that I can purchase up to 20 litres of Denatured Ethyl-Alcohol a year and found a supplier for the reeds in bulk so that I can make my own using organic essential oils which will give me total control over the resulting scent, which I can change as and when I want and use different scents for different rooms etc.

I had been thinking of making ‘boxes’ for the bottles to sit in for quite a while now but I am not particularly keen on the way the reeds splay out from the neck of the bottle.

I want my containers to match up with other stuff in the rooms and so I loved the idea of using moulding at the top and bottom of the ‘boxes’.

To get this effect I will cut the mitres of the moulding with the rebate at the top or bottom rather than facing out on my mitre saw so that the moulding forms a base for the box at the bottom keeping the box raised from the surface I place it on, preventing any damage from any solution that gets spilled, and a matching ornate decoration for the top of the box.

I then got to think that what I need is a square jar rather than a bottle with a narrow neck and I just found the perfect item! :D

I have emailed the company to find out the diameter of the round top to the jar. My intention is to cut two squares from 5mm foam core or soft timber. Having taken the smaller ‘square’ within the round jar top I will drill a grid of holes in both pieces and then separate them with spacers far enough apart to keep the reeds straight.

I can then put my fragrance in the jar, push the bottom grid down over the jar which will prevent too much evaporation and place my reeds through the holes which will stand up from the finished box in a square formation!

AND I can have them to match the mouldings I use in those rooms and even cover the outside of the boxes in fabrics I have used in the rooms. :clap:

This will definitely be a project for my ‘Colour It You’ YouTube tutorials.

So thank you again for posing this question :)
We cannot solve our problems with the same level of thinking that we used when we created them - Albert Einstein
Colour It You
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Hi Tangent

Glad my pic sparked you off! :idea:

Please do add a pic here when you have completed the job, and share with all :D :clap:
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg