How do I use these properly?

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
martyn05
Organisation: Home Framer
Interests: Computers, Archery, Woodworking

How do I use these properly?

Post by martyn05 »

Hi, i know this is a daft question but i brought a set of Fletcher Nipping and Running Pliers. They come with 2 sets of changeable jaws. Can somebody tell me which set i use for what and exactly how to do it. I tried using them today and broke the glass. For instance, one set of jaws, the plastic ones, has a single ridge in the centre of one and the other has two ridges, one on the far left and one on the far right. The top edge of the pliers has a mark guide. I need to know which way round i fit the jaws etc, really basic for you guys out there but i have recently started to try and frame my own work and even though i am enjoying it i get really annoyed when i can not do basic things like this. The pliers can be seen here at http://www.diyframing.com/store_viewItem.cfm?ItemID=193.

Many thanks

Martyn
prospero

Re: How do I use these properly?

Post by prospero »

You don't really need them for 2mm glass. Grasp the edge of the glass between thumb and forefinger of each hand, either side of the score. Give a gentle twist (right hand clockwise. left anti). If you have a good score, only very light pressure is needed. On a big sheet on a bench, pull it an inch or two over the edge and push upwards from beneath with a finger on the scoreline.

If it isn't snapping along the line you have a bad score. There could be a few causes of this......

Cutter wheel is past it or needs lube

The score not done with even pressure.

You paused it the middle of the score.

and others...
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
The Crofter
Organisation: Sutherland Arts & Crafts
Interests: Photography

Post by The Crofter »

Before I bought my Excalibur board/glass cutter I cut everything by hand. This gizmo will increase your confidence when breaking by hand as it prevents the two pieces from moving apart after the break is made. Put under the score line and grip with thumb/fingers on both sides. Rotate both wrists outwards. Sounds awkward but simple in practice.

http://www.lionpic.co.uk/Catalog/Produc ... arch=joker

This glass cutter is also foolproof and can be slotted into a Frameco straight edge.

http://www.lionpic.co.uk/product/FrameC ... ,9383.aspx
Pat
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Personally I think standard glass is so cheap it does not warrant messing around with if you get a bad cut so I just cut a new piece and use the other on the next job.

John.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

If you bought these pliers new, they should have come with instructions.

I've never used them for 'running' but that is what the white line is for - line that up with the score line at one end of the glass and twist - just don't ask me which set of jaws you need.

But I use them for 'nipping' all the time and they're great, just grip and pull down and out at the same time.

They are only intended for small cuts and slivers though, where you do not have the leverage of a large piece which can easily be snapped off by hand. You should be able to snap off a 3mm piece easily, for a long sliver you may have to do it in a few goes, what I do is only partly snap the score, bit by bit and then pull it off in one go - sometimes it will leave some behind but it's easy to nip even tiny bits off.
martyn05

Post by martyn05 »

Many thanks for the replies.

Martyn
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

You will only need to use the “cut runners” if you are trying to shave a fraction of an inch from the side of glass when the waste is too narrow to grab with your hands. Place the “anvil” (the bump) on the scored side of the glass and gently squeeze. The break will start at this site and, with luck, continue the length of the scored piece.

“Nippers” are used to “crush” off edges along the score that didn’t break cleanly. This will happen mostly when you are trying to shave off a fraction from the glass and the cut runner didn't extend the break all the way to the bottom of the sheet of glass.

If I remember correctly, the Fletcher comes with two flat metal thingies which attach to the cut runner. I found it worth my while to buy a pair of “nipper” pliers specifically for that purpose. For this “grinding” to have any chance of being successful, you have to “crush” just the slightest amount of the overhang and repeat as often as you need to make sure that it is almost flush with the rest of the score. Don’t try to “crush” it at the score or you’ll end up breaking the whole stupid sheet of glass. It takes a bit of practice.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
martyn05

Post by martyn05 »

Thanks Bill, what nipper pliers did you get?
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

I can’t remember exactly since I’ve had them for over twenty years. More than likely I bought them from United MFRs, a distributor out of New York. The stamping on the pliers is pretty worn, but from what I can read they are called “Knipex” made in Germany.

IMO the virtue of these is that they are made entirely of steel and built like a regular pair of pliers but with the jaws having a greater surface area than normal. The jaws themselves are scored and when closed the tops and bottom jaws mesh.

Since the Fletcher Cut Runner is plastic, to me they don’t feel quite as substantial for “crushing” as the steel tool.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine