photo stuck to glass

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
dougie

photo stuck to glass

Post by dougie »

got a photo in earlier for reframing,was in a ready made frame and straight in with no mount,unfortonately its stuck to the glass a bit,any ideas on how to get them seperated?
Roboframer

Re: photo stuck to glass

Post by Roboframer »

Scan it and save it (or get it scanned and saved if you don't have the facility) and see how a new print of that turns out, if that doesn't work then look for a conservator or a good photographer that can do a digital restoration.
prospero

Post by prospero »

If you have to get the photo scanned and reprinted, see if you can keep the old one still stuck to the glass. Then the next time someone comes in and says they don't want a mount, you can take it out and show it to them.
I have a watercolour that I gave somebody a fiver for that I use for the same purpose. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
TONY.W
Organisation: Branch Manager.Lion South PFS
Interests: Music,Playing the guitar and football

Post by TONY.W »

If it's a newish photo not stuck to a backing board try flooding under the photo with lighter fluid and it should loosen it enough without doing any damage.
Tony
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

'try' would mean you'd have no previous experience of this and 'should' is not good enough.

There are probably many other ways that removal could be attempted, but if you've never done them before, or even if you've only done them once or twice, the customers may as well have a bash themselves .... after scanning and saving, just in case!

You could of course gain experience by framing a shedload of photos of your own against the glass and leaving them in a greenhouse for a week or two in July, or popping them in to the microwave/under the grill for a couple of mins, and then trialling and erroring methods of removal until you find one or two that you get really good at. But I'd still take advantage of modern technology first.
TONY.W
Organisation: Branch Manager.Lion South PFS
Interests: Music,Playing the guitar and football

Post by TONY.W »

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word try.I used to have to change all the photos every season for a rugby club and nine out of ten were stuck and that is what we used.It always worked for us.
Tony
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

No, 'try' was the right word; that's what Dougie would be doing.