Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
allyblue1
Organisation: Skene Framing
Interests: Framing, Reading, Sport,

Estlite problems & Pricing software

Post by allyblue1 »

I joined the forum just over a month ago and have not as yet posted anything so I should start by saying HI to you all.

This is the year that framing is no longer my hobby but has become my profession. I have just had a workshop built to the rear of my property and have ordered my new equipment which should be delivered next week.

I have just joined the Guild and received all my membership stuff this week. I have been shying away from taking the GCF exam for some time but am now focused on taking it this year.

The reason for the post is I have been trying to get on the EStlite website this week and keep getting this msg Error 503 : Service Temporarily Unavailable Does anyone know if there is a problem with the site?

I have been reading posts about FRAMIAC but I feel that is a bit expensive for me. Is there any other pricing software that anyone would recommend?

Regards

Ally
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Re: Estlite problems & Pricing software

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Before becoming reliant on software to do your pricing I would spend some time assessing what you think the final price should be.

You will need to work out all of your costs from mouldings, glass, backing, heat, light etc. right down to paperclips!

Only once you know all of this can you begin to think what you need to add to this to pay yourself a wage.

Also you will need to know how long a job takes to complete.

I had a look at the Framiac software at Springfair and this would seem to be the most comprehensive because you can build absolutely everything into the programme.

In my experience the other programmes will allow you to keep databases of materials and apply markups to conveniently produce a total price for a job. What you programme as a mark up will give the figure you want to charge. Additionally they will, of course, manage databases of your customers, past jobs, stock levels etc.

Most programmes are downloadable for free trial so why not try a few out.
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

Hi Ally,

Welcome to the forum.

The EstLite site was moved to a new server by the hosting company this week.

They have assured me that the temporary problem that you encountered has now been resolved.

I would appreciate it if you could verify that you can now access the site www.estlite.com

Many thanks, and apologies for the inconvenience.

John
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

Hi Ally

Welcome to the forum.

I bought EstLite just under 3 years ag.and would wholly recommend it. I can honestly say it was one of the best £400.00 I have spent as it transformed my business. Its a slightly daunting task to start with but so would any simalair software.

Pricing takes a minute to tweak to your requirements when setting up, and as J2M says you are going to need to be aware of your overheads, but members of this forum will freely give you advice to help you on your way.

Although its 3 years since I looked at what else is on the market I would say EstLite is great value for money and is very adaptable.

Will
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt
allyblue1

Post by allyblue1 »

Thanks for all your comments and advice. John I can now confirm that I can access the estlite site. :D
JohnMcafee

Post by JohnMcafee »

Many thanks for the feedback, Ally.

Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I like Will use estlite, it is simple and easy to use. I have used it for about 7 years and even though I don't cost in every d ring, lightbulb and cups of coffee into my pricing I have a very healthy GP so it must be doing something right. Also the fact that it is a one off fee and you get updates and all the moulding tables supplied FOC each year is a bonus.

I would thoroughly recommend it.
countrystudio
Organisation: Bristol
Interests: framing

Post by countrystudio »

I would look no further than Framiac.
Yes it is not the cheapest program on the market but it is the best in my humble opinion.
I have not found another pricing program which gets into the nuts and bolts of your business like this one does.
There is a lot of software which focus on the pretty side of framing, i.e. showing customers what their frame will look like when finished but that is not what helps you fully understand your cost inputs from paper clips to water bills and everything else inbetween. Framiac focuses wholehartedly on the numbers and what makes a business tick. If you are honest with the program about how long jobs take and what your costs are you cannot go wrong.
Best of luck
Heather
JohnMcafee

Post by JohnMcafee »

Heather is absolutely right - frame pricing software is a tool for picture framers, it performs the vital role of helping to keep us in profit.

I agree that, from the framer’s point of view, visualisation is probably unnecessary. The framer already knows what a frame looks like, right?

"There is a lot of software which focus on the pretty side of framing, i.e. showing customers what their frame will look like when finished…"

The above could only have been written by a framer who has never experienced the pleasure of visualising the customer’s job and observe their delight at being able to instantly see the transformation that their frame choice will make. Or one who can not see any benefit (to both framer and customer) in the ability to show how much better a piece might look using a wide double mount with fillet, rather than the skimpy single that was their first choice. Visualisation is a great up-selling tool.

Customers are impressed with visualisation. With no prompting, they will tell you so every day. But in all my years of framing I have never once had a customer say “Wow, look at those corner samples, that’s a brilliant idea.”

Visualisation enhances the pos experience for the customer, and can make life easier for the framer, especially if their frame pricing software can talk to the visualisation software, as most can (at least with Pre-View).

Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Ever have customers leave the shop and then have to spend 10 mins tidying away all the corner samples and mount board chevrons only for the next customer to do the same?

With visualisation software just a few clicks and they can see what their frame is going to look like.

Click the PreView connection button on your pricing programme and you don't even have to measure the work (provided camera set up correctly)

Oh, and don't you just love those customers who helpfully put the samples back for you

in the wrong place! :head:
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I understand the need to cost everything including time proportion of rent etc. But how can you do this if you don't know how much turnover or how many frames you will be making in a month.

One common problem with proportioning labour and fixed overheads at a fixed rate to a frame is that small frames become more expensive and larger ones slightly cheaper than if you just used a % markup, something that in my experience people don't expect.

As I said I don't cost in everything but in 8 years of being in business i have never made a loss and I have a very health GP which has stayed constant. I will sit down in a few weeks with my accountant when he has done my year end accounts and look at how the business has gone look at my sales and my GP then work out what percentage markup I need to maintain it or see if it could be pushed up to increase it.

Estlite works well for me and I feel my pricing is fair to both me and the customer.
allyblue1

Post by allyblue1 »

Thanks for all your advice and taking time to reply to my post. Just to let you know I have purchased Estlite. :D
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

:clap: :clap:
impressive19
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Framing, Bees and Football

Post by impressive19 »

Might give Estlite a go then, seems to be quite popular and the cost of Framiac does put me off somewhat.
DEEPJOY
Organisation: inPicture Framing
Interests: Framing, Photography, Aircooled VW and time to be creative.

Post by DEEPJOY »

I have Quick Price and I am very happy with it! :clap:

Deepjoy
yankee
Organisation: framer
Interests: picture framing golf

Post by yankee »

i use a pricing cd my supplier fw holroyd in glasgow gave me and it works well as your from bonnyrigg i would recommend using them as a supplier if you dont already they will guide you on how to price jobs and they are a right helpful bunch of lads always got time to help you out when you need it.