5 Star Hand Finishing Training.

Something to announce to the world? Do it here.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

5 Star Hand Finishing Training.

Post by Justintime »

I just want to say what a great day we had recently with Jim of Jeremy Anderson Picture Framing in Nottingham (Gesso & Bolle on the forum). As part of our Busman's holiday staycation trip away, we booked in for a day of hand finishing training with Jim. After many years in the trade, Jim now has a home based workshop. As a relatively new home based business ourselves, it was interesting to see how someone with years more experience than us had set it out and created a really efficient workspace in a small working area.
My wife who is an artist does most of the hand finishing these days, so this was really a chance for her to be led through many different processes and combinations of materials, offering the necessary shortcuts to save us the years of trial and error that may otherwise have been necessary.
I've learnt that the best indicator of a good days training is that time goes very quickly and you leave slightly overwhelmed and excited to put it all into practice.
I couldn't miss the opportunity to pick a fellow framer's brain and arrived with a list of questions to put to Jim, from pricing to CMC's and conservation, which he took the time to discuss while we were working.
We can both highly recommend a day with Jim. He's personable, knowledgable and creates a comfortable space to experiment, under his guidance.
(He's also an exceptional cook and he recommended the best Tapas restaurant in the evening!)
Thank you Jim (and Ragnar) for making it such a great day!
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Re: 5 Star Hand Finishing Training.

Post by Gesso&Bole »

Those are very kind comments, thank-you Justin. It was a pleasure to meet you and Erica, and I expect that I learnt a bit too, from our conversations. It really is heartening to see that those people who do well in this business never assume that they know it all, and keep learning throughout their career.

I am planning on running another hand-finishing course in the next few weeks, I have a couple of people who have expressed an interest, but obviously it makes it more cost effective if there are 2 or 3 attendees.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: 5 Star Hand Finishing Training.

Post by Not your average framer »

Well done Jeremy,

I think that there is a significant need for hand finished framing training courses and I am thinking that there will be hpoefully some worthwhile potential for further such courses for you as an ongoing possibilty. In these current difficult times, I strongly suspect that hand finishing has a lot to contribute to many smaller framing businesses and I would like to encourage you in doing more of this!

Best wishes,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer