Compasses

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Compasses

Post by Trinity »

This is the retirement package I mentioned on another post. An Architect.
I've used a square edge moulding for these in the past and on balance think it works best with that profile although this was the choice of the fella buying it.
The fillets - I call them that for obvious reasons - were cut and fitted within 2 minutes with my Fillet Master and are absolutely spot on.
(I'm just ordering some more Fillet Masters - pm me if you are interested, 3 left at "old" prices.)

IMG_1064 (2).jpg
IMG_1064 (2).jpg (1001.35 KiB) Viewed 8186 times
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: Compasses

Post by Steve N »

Nice layout and what a good present for an architect, he should be over the moon with it, well done.
On a personal note I would have used a silver frame and lip-slip to match the tone of the instruments, but some customers just will not take advise :head: they have something in mind and you just can't get them to change it.
I've an old set of compasses knocking around (which I used at school) I'm might just give them the same treatment (in silver) when I get some time
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

You raise an interesting point for me Steve - the confidence on colour(s) that only comes with experience / "the eye".
Other than the nibs the instruments are an alloy and look a pale gold rather than silver, in the flesh. Nevertheless when gold was chosen it didn't occur to me to advise otherwise. So I really appreciate your suggestion on silver and will have a go with silver on a similar set as I do quite a few of these.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

Good job Trinity and well executed, I'm sure the recipient was delighted.

How are the instruments fixed?
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

That looks a great job. Please let us know how they are fixed in.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I spy with my little eye, something beginning with 'M' :clap:
prospero

Post by prospero »

Masonic rituals? :handshake:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

When I first looked it was on my phone - I have a better zoom on the laptop and can see some M now.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Hi Trinity

As I said it was personal view, and it was great that you took it that way, it's the problem with monitors, it can be hard to see colours sometimes, and I bet they look even better in the flesh, got to put it on my to do list, find compasses
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Steve, helpful hints sharpen me up so I'm all for them! Doesn't help when I'm colour blind on reds / greens either.

Yes,your right of course it is that prince of polyester,Melinex, something that this forum (Robo) introduced me too. As well as a monster roll I got another roll 25mm wide, and cut into 6" lengths it'll make four or five of the little straps.
I've set these out manually over graph paper using a scalpel but now I use my Wizard cmc, which has functions a bit like graph paper, or that battleships game so you can plot your slit.
I set out at 5 x 30mm single apertures and at the end convert to .5 x 3mm on a reverse bevel cut from the back, then thread the melinex straps through and tape from behind.