Cute piccies of the month

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Roboframer

Cute piccies of the month

Post by Roboframer »

Mounts - alphamat artcare 'Fiori' and 'teal grey' (don't remember which is top/bottom) frame is a laquered/dimpled affair that comes with a peel-off protective coating, although it's quite tough/durable - available from A&T and Nielsen. Nielsen 'True Color' glass.
triple ap baby.jpg
triple ap baby.jpg (69.7 KiB) Viewed 8951 times
stcstc

Re: Cute piccies of the month

Post by stcstc »

cool man

i would of been tempted to swap the 2 end ones, so the one on left at mo is on right and looking inwards rather than out of frame like now
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Me too thinking about it and I did ask if there was a preference for the order; there was and I took a photo of that on my phone, which I sent to my framer's phone via 'whatsapp'!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

stcstc

Post by stcstc »

is it simons cosmopolitan moulding?

how flat were the pics?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Pics were nice and flat - only 8x6". Moulding is from Nielsen but I think it's also available from A&T - I say 'I think' because I can't find it on their website - the online catalogue is a PDF and I gave up scrolling!

Nielsen is promising a website 'like arqadia's' - can't wait!
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

guess the platform thingie only really works with them nice and flat yea?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

It works with anything that's square with a window mount laid over it - if it was curved that would be fine, but if it was cockled/buckled to buggery so that the outside edges were not square/straight, it wouldn't because there is only a tiny amount of play to allow expansion/contraction.

They're fairly simple manually and a total doddle on a CMC - don't think I'd want to know about a multi-aperture manually though, especially a 90 degree cut aperture.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

We're on a bit of a mission to see just how much we can do with no adhesive - either no adhesive in contact with the artwork or no adhesive, full stop!

Edge-mounting strips, corner pockets (not the type you can buy; the type you can make yourself from melinex with 'legs' that pass through the under-mount) or a melinex 'Z' envelope would also have worked for this, but the images would have had to be smaller, so platform mount it was, there's only one-eighth of an inch of the paper covered by the window mount.

I realise there's no need in this case, hinges would have been absolutely fine and so would dry mounting. Dry mounting would be, by far, the most expensive option.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

Not in my case as have tons of off cuts could use. Just like you with ya skinny mount board and foam core :-)
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

OK - but not materials - bar dry mounting tissue - that's not cheap. What about postioning on the under mount so's the window mount (multiple, like this one), falls EXACTLY over the images?

Platform mount just lines up and you drop the image(s) in, it's just a triple mount, but the bottom mount has larger apertures and are 90 degree cut - ideally.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

oh yea, i didnt mean heat pressing, ment cold mounting, takes seconds, and the cost of the undermount would be the same as a sheet of sticky board, lining up is easy part when you get using to it

but hey i think this system is cool, and have some ideas for trying it