Drift Wood

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Ricky
Organisation: Barnard Castle Framers.
Interests: Art, Photography,Ceramics,
Restoration.Horses.

Drift Wood

Post by Ricky »

Another one to add to my Hand Made Range
IMG_0140.JPG
IMG_0140.JPG (2.28 MiB) Viewed 2746 times
prospero

Re: Drift Wood

Post by prospero »

Very good Ricky. :clap: I like rough woody finishes.

The only thing with them is when you want a reasonably consistent roughness. Knots are OK, but they can bleed or drop out. One way I found (by accident more than anything is to use thick paint (The famed Wickes smooth ripple). If you bulk it up with some powder paint (which tints the white as well) you can dollop it on and use a comb to groove it lengthwise. You are completely in control here - you can make the grooves parallel or wavy or if you keep working it while the paint dries (which it does quite quickly) it will start to tear up the surface making a splintery effect. You can even sweep it in sideways circular patterns to simulate circular saw marks. Coarse or fine. A fork for coarse and just a stiff brush for fine.
A greeny-grey mix works well and when it's dry give it a wash over with dark brown acrylic. Sand it a bit and wax it and the results can be very convincing.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: Drift Wood

Post by StevenG »

Nice - I like seeing hand finished stuff :)