Christening Gift

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Glimpse

Christening Gift

Post by Glimpse »

This is my first attempt at anything like this, and though it's not an original idea, I'm quite pleased with the results. The box frame moulding I ordered didn't show up in time so I had to improvise with a deepish rebated Polcore. The mount is spaced on foam-core spacers.
I just wish I had friends that chose shorter names for their offspring! Gluing all those letters proved very fiddly...

Be kind!

StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: Christening Gift

Post by StevenG »

Excellent idea :D Really good - I hope no well known board games lost their lives in the production of this fine creative piece of frame type thing
Glimpse

Post by Glimpse »

Thanks! Glad you like it... The letters were £6 for a bag of 100 off ebay, so no board games have been ruined! :)
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Mmmm, that's a really interesting idea! Nicely executed!

Did you manage to glue them on without any glue showing on the mount board?

Lining up and gluing the letters sounds like a difficult task. Much impressed! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Glimpse

Post by Glimpse »

I glued the letters with uhu glue, very fiddley but the results are clean with no glue showing. I lined them up along a ruler and used a thin cardboard spacer to get them even. Then re-squared the back board when I was finished, bonded it to the mount with double sided tape and did the same with the spacers in the rebate.
The letters touch the glass but it's not an issue. Glad you approve! :D
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

very nice work. Not a new idea but looks like you have executed it very well. :clap:
prospero

Post by prospero »

A
S
T
I
G
M
A
T
I
S
M

triple word score. :D

your go. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

For myself, I'm not excited about having to stick the letters in place with glue on the the edges at the rear of the letters.

I would probably cut some bits of foamboard to be a tightfit into the cavity inthe rear of each letter and then glue each letter in place with a blob of glue in the middle of the foamboard insert.

Not that there is anything wrong with the way that it was done! I just like an easy life. :D
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Glimpse

Post by Glimpse »

I thought about that method Mark, but they have plenty of surface area on the back - they have a round space in the middle rather than a thin edge round the edge of the tile, if that makes sense...
A little blob of glue in each corner was all it took.
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

I think it looks great Glimpse. And the way you glued them down seems the easiest way to me.

Might give it a go ourselves in the New Year. But I would cheat and cut a template on the CMC :giggle:
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

was thinking same thing, cut a grid of holes out of board and use to layout any grid you want then
Glimpse

Post by Glimpse »

That would be a great idea! At only 6 quid for a bag of letters, I can see this becoming my standard gift for christenings! Doesn't work so well with all names though, obviously...
Not your average framer

Glimpse wrote:they have a round space in the middle
I did not know that. Guess who has not played scrabble for about 25 years!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Glimpse

Post by Glimpse »

I haven't played it on a board since they invented Wordfeud for the iPhone!