A little bit different

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

A little bit different

Post by StevenG »

A lady brought a small painting (230x305), a friend had done it for her. She said she wanted to make the whole thing look larger but didn't want the 'usual' framing ideas. She couldn't give us any direction of what she wanted but was happy to leave it up to us. I honestly didn't know what to do but eventually I done this.... The actual art was framed in a little 20x20 plain wood, finished with a matt white, that was then mounted with 100mm border. The whole thing was the set into another hand painted painted frame, 30mm wide, 40mm deep, used some liming wax to help the wood grain effect. Not a fantastic demonstration of engineering or actual skill, but I think it turned out alright actually. :)
Attachments
DSCF4659.JPG
DSCF4659.JPG (2.91 MiB) Viewed 22809 times
DSCF4654.JPG
DSCF4654.JPG (2.96 MiB) Viewed 22809 times
Graysalchemy

Re: A little bit different

Post by Graysalchemy »

I think that looks great I like the Idea. :clap: :clap:
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I like it, but did it need glazed? It might just be the photo but the glass is distracting me.
That's a really impressive painting.
StevenG
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

The glazing - hmmm, based on those pics I can see what you mean, thankfully the reflection isn't so bad in reality. It was only a young girl that done the painting, as a favor to her mother.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Glazing would keep the inner frame and the back nice and clean. Also you are assuming it is an oil or acrylic, It no different to a watercolour having glass.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

That's a great looking job. You've got the colour of the outer frame spot on. What sort of paint did you use?

I'm sure your customer will be made up mate..... have a pint of the black stuff yourself... cheers :clap:
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I like it very much, such a nice idea! I also noticed that the inner frame appears to be spaced away from the backing board, which I thought was visually a very effective idea.

The colour of the outer frame was very nice too! May I also ask for details of the paint and colour.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

It's nice to see those comments :) motivating :D

The paint was just a little tester from the local shop, Fleetwood and the colour is Dee20. Dee20 makes no sense though as a colour name but that's what the card said!

Thanks again guys
steven
Attachments
paint.JPG
paint.JPG (3.01 MiB) Viewed 22775 times
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

nice job fella.
Trillian
Organisation: Considering the options. Again!
Interests: Changes on a daily basis, but I'm never without a book to read.

Post by Trillian »

Nice one! The framing compliments the artwork beautifully. And if it was only a youngster that did the painting, that girl's got talent.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I'm sorry... but I really don't like anything about this at all!
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

For such a small art-work, at least this "bigs" it up a bit. The glazing gives the whole product a little more value. And if the customers happy - well done!
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Whitewater Gallery
Organisation: Whtewater Gallery
Interests: Surfing, sailing

Post by Whitewater Gallery »

Geoff wrote:I'm sorry... but I really don't like anything about this at all!
So long as the customer is happy then we are all happy?
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I agree with that as long as the customer is happy then that is all that matters, though I actually like it and think it works very well on the piece. :clap: :clap:
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Post by Framemaker Richard »

I like it, have framed many things in a similar way, just looks fresh and ultra modern, what's not to like! :D
Whitewater Gallery
Organisation: Whtewater Gallery
Interests: Surfing, sailing

Post by Whitewater Gallery »

Sorry, neglected to say I like it too!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Are the surface around the inner frame and the spacers painted, or did you use mountboard and a matching deep bevel tape for wrapping the spacers?

I think that there is a lot of mileage in this sort of idea, perhaps you should produce a display frame for your shop too! I've already said how much I like the idea, but I would also like to add that the quality of workmanship is also very evident from the pictures as well.

I think that you may have started something and I imagine that you will have your imitators as a result.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I like it, balance-wise it's not much different to a nice wide mount. I'd maybe have made the inner frame the same colour as the outer to give some contrast, like a double mount, but the shadows this method creates does that.

Here's one I did some years ago - for a dead posh hotel.
Attachments
frameinaframe.jpg
frameinaframe.jpg (26.15 KiB) Viewed 22577 times
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

What on earth is "Ultra Modern" about this...? There is nothing modern or contemporary about it...it just doesn't work at all for me. I agree however that...as long as the customer is happy that is always what is at the end... and he or she might well do. It looks heavy cumbersome and the colours well...??? Still..as long as the customer like it! Just my view...sorry!
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Don't hold back Geoff, tell us how you really feel about it :giggle:

Personally I like it very much. I think the colour works perfectly with it and to echo others to me it does look modern and fresh and perfectly suits the brief given by the customer. My only slight thing would be that I'm not totally sure about the shadow effect caused by the inner frame, but apart from that I think it's great :rock:
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022