Edge-less canvas stretcher.

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
ARworx
Organisation: ARworx
Interests: Art, wodwork, mosaic, reading

Edge-less canvas stretcher.

Post by ARworx »

Hello all,

I'm still new to this forum and decide to share what I'm working on.

This is an edge-less canvas frame and I'm very happy with the result.

For so long it's an endless discussion between artists about either painting the edge or to keep it black, so i decided to break the rules :D

It's 45 degrees beveled and it takes so long time to, and going to market this frames in local market although there isn't much demand these days.

Waiting your comments :)
Attachments
DSC_0231.JPG
DSC_0231.JPG (555.13 KiB) Viewed 11357 times
DSC_0230.JPG
DSC_0230.JPG (845.98 KiB) Viewed 11357 times
DSC_0229.JPG
DSC_0229.JPG (723.5 KiB) Viewed 11357 times
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: Edge-less canvas stretcher.

Post by pramsay13 »

You've lost me
ARworx

Post by ARworx »

pramsay13 wrote:You've lost me
Can you explain please?
prospero

Post by prospero »

Not a bad idea by any means. It would give the impression of a floating panel rather than a monolithic slab.

More useful for canvas prints than original artwork probably.

One thing.... Canvas prints are usually stretched en masse on a machine and not sure if a bevelled stretcher bar
would be compatible. Another thing.... Prints can be susceptible to cracking on the edges and a sharper edge increase
the danger of this. Plastic-based canvases are quite stiff and don't form tight 90º bends without a lot of force. Making the
angle more acute would be a problem on these.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
ARworx

Post by ARworx »

prospero wrote:Not a bad idea by any means. It would give the impression of a floating panel rather than a monolithic slab.
For a while i thought that you don't like it :)

I'm a carpenter and very interested to develope canvas stretcher beside other arts but so far never stretched a print but i think it's possible on this frame and i can make special wide curve if necessary.

I will post more soon especially the oval and circular.

So far never used primed canvas, i use fine canvas and prime it with Lefranc and Bourgeois general primer which is the best to buy in Jordan,
Unfortunately we don't have many options.

Thanks a lot for the info, it's very helpful :)
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

As you are making these to order as you need them, will you be able to charge sufficient extra for this service to make this financially worth while? I am thinking this because normal stretcher bars are available of the shelf at competitive prices and you extra work needs to be adequately rewarded in terms of the price you will be able to charge.

Having said all of that, I've never seen anything like this before, so you might be the first to come up with this. Is quite an interesting inovation and I hope it goes well for you. Nice idea.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jayvee
Organisation: Framed By John
Interests: Framing, Football, Cricket, Movies

Post by Jayvee »

I’m sure Mainline here make something like that (obvs a bit far away from Jordan) - I think it was called the flatscreen stretcher or something.

Just had a little look - they’ve discontinued it!!

http://mainlinemouldings.com/index.php? ... D=STR-4239
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Post by Framemaker Richard »

I rather like the idea, is something a bit different, both for hanging directly on the wall and in a tray frame.

I think it would also work well on the deep box canvases which I find quite ugly looking, I think I recall a time when the deep box canvases were a pretty new thing, now they are everywhere, so maybe this could be a new thing...

I had an idea when seeing this that if you had a bevel on a deeper box canvas you could run strip leds at the back which would give cool light effect behind the canvas, more than a bit gimmicky, but with so much disposable art and trends coming and going... it could be popular. Saying that, it has probably already been done.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Yes. Forgive me for saying this but as far as original paintings go a 'serious' artist would never use a system like this.

Are the corners double-mortised and keyed?

OK for the mass market 'wall furniture' type images but for real art it's just re-inventing the wheel.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
ARworx

Post by ARworx »

Not your average framer wrote:As you are making these to order as you need them, will you be able to charge sufficient extra for this service to make this financially worth while? I am thinking this because normal stretcher bars are available of the shelf at competitive prices
Well this is the first i make of this kind and wanted to share the idea with professionals in this forum, but in general art markets in Jordan is bad and i see some horrible canvas stretchers with big demand but because it's cheap,

So I'll try to market this new idea and still able to do much more.

Thanks a lot for the encouragement :)
ARworx

Post by ARworx »

Jayvee wrote:I’m sure Mainline here make something like that (obvs a bit far away from Jordan) - I think it was called the flatscreen stretcher or something.

Just had a little look - they’ve discontinued it!!
I can't deny it's a very good stretcher,

But i dont follow others work and always go extreme challenging my skills.

The stretcher in the link is a 15 degrees beveled and it's not much for me and I'll never satisfy with that.

This stretcher i make is triple bevelled on 45 degrees and it's possible to go extreme and make a new line with 60 degrees when i will have some free time :D
ARworx

Post by ARworx »

Framemaker Richard wrote:I rather like the idea, is something a bit different, both for hanging directly on the wall and in a tray frame.

I think it would also work well on the deep box canvases which I find quite ugly looking, I think I recall a time when the deep box canvases were a pretty new thing, now they are everywhere, so maybe this could be a new thing...
I like the idea and it's easy to make it, I'll suggest that on artists when when i market it,

Beside I'm a carpenter and i can add a special wooden background with the LED lights,

Thanks a lot for the ideas and encouragement :)
ARworx

Post by ARworx »

prospero wrote:Yes. Forgive me for saying this but as far as original paintings go a 'serious' artist would never use a system like this.

Are the corners double-mortised and keyed?
I agree with you and i appreciate the frank opinion,

It's not mortised, only 45 degrees joint, but that can be done easily.

For serious artists i still have much more and waiting a good chance to get it out and show what I do because where I live it's very diffecult to find this kind of artists :(