deifying gravity

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

deifying gravity

Post by Ed209 »

Had a customer in today that wants a LP record float framed with a 50mm boarder his solution to conservation fixing it was to provide me with a non slip safety mat you put under rugs on laminate floors etc. to put between the mount board and the LP to allow easy removal if required (apart from dismantling the frame) :D
He really can't understand why this will not work! :D
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: deifying gravity

Post by JFeig »

Those mats are made from rubber as I recall. Rubber contains Sulphur and leads to air pollution. It also tends to disintegrate over time. Ask him if he has any old elastic bands in good condition?

The easiest hardware for an LP record is a brass paper binder that consists of a round head with 2 bendable legs. You can even paint the round heads.

Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
prospero

Post by prospero »

You can get mirror screws that come with a plastic washer and a cap.

Most I have seen come with chrome caps, but you can get black one if you look hard enough. You would have to fix a
piece of wood behind the backing for the screw bite into and maybe shorten the screw a tad.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Post by Ed209 »

Sorry need to clarify the LP cover is what is being framed with the LP in it, I can see why you would have thought otherwise I would of as well :D
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Let me get my magic wand out and give it a try.

On the other hand, bend a 3 sided rectangle out of wire to fit the slit in the album cover so that the album is secure. The ends of the wire (2) should be longer than the album. Bend the 2 ends 90° to the face of the album and through holes in the backing board. Make a second 90° bend against the back of the backing board and secure. There, you have a secured record album floating on a backing board.
You will only see a very short piece of bent wire. The did want it done in a conservation manner without any adhesives.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

You could just make a ready made frame for them, then they can put the album in anyway they like, if it fails, it's not your fault
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

It's not hard to frame an LP record in a sleeve, cut a piece of mountboard to fit behind the record sleeve and cut a tongue within that piece of mountboard which will fit inside the record sleeve.

The clever bit is the shape of the tongue, so that the the paper sleeve within the record sleeve can be partly exposed outside of the record sleeve to hide where you have cut the tongue to side into the sleeve.

The tongue is therefore stepped in height, so that the cuts (that would otherwise be visible) are stepped in to be hidden by the paper sleeve within the record sleeve, but inside the sleeve where the tongue must adequately hold the record sleeve in place the tongue must widen out so that the record sleeve won't move about.

The LP record will then extended out of the inner sleeve enough to be able to make the whole of the record label clearly visible, while leaving the portion of the LP record within the paper inner sleeve and the record sleeve as well for support.

Something needs to be fitted through the centre hole in the record, but I'm not sure that I like the idea of the idea of the paper fastener previously mentioned as I think that these may allow more movement that desirable, also the chromed domes that screw into mirrors screws don't have a very long length of thread behind them, so I would be looking for something more suitable, but at this stage I don't know what this might be.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I've used melinex on the corners, almost like large photo corners.
Not quite invisible, but almost.
Attachments
43.jpg
43.jpg (105.71 KiB) Viewed 5560 times
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

It's far from the craziest customer suggestion I've come across. I get why it's not a good solution but I also completely get why the customer thought it was.

Much more so than the customer who wanted me to make the frame bigger but didn't want to pay for a new one because most of it was already made....

That said, I've just done one like this for a customer - float mount, 50mm border, invisible fixings.

Double sided tape and PVA glue! If I wasn't leaving anyway, the framing police would be after me! Customer was very clear that it was only of aesthetic importance and he didn't care how it was attached.
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter