Deep rebate frame

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Deep rebate frame

Post by fusionframer »

I recall someone asking about deep rebates for frames.
I am having to do a very deep rebated frame for a rugby shirt with a cap. I started today so thought i would take a few pics as i go.

I am using R&H A344, a big chunky moulding with a decent rebate anyway. So first i make and pin the frame
20191207_175158.jpg
When i cut this frame, i cut a 2nd one exactly the same size. This one i run through the bandsaw. I not only remove the rebate, but cut back about 10mm into the frame itself.
20191207_175217.jpg
I then pin this together and as i have the time, glue and clamp the frames together. If i had less time, i may have used some pocket screws.
20191207_181738.jpg
So i now have a rebate for the glass, i will use the leftover piece when cutting the 2nd frame (photo 2) to fit to hold the glass in place and have a 2nd rebate for the mountboard with shirt and cap to sit giving me 33mm clearance from the glass
20191207_230724.jpg
Will update hopefully tomorrow.

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
prospero

Re: Deep rebate frame

Post by prospero »

That's the ticket! :yes: :clap:

I found a nice way of blending the two on the outside edge. There is always a bit that stand proud no matter how
accurate you think you have cut. Use a piece of scrap glass to plane it. Better than sanding. One side of the glass
will be sharper than another. Got some pieces of scrap glass have you? :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

Thanks Prospero,

Gave it a go and it worked well as you said, then realised i use cabinet scrapers which is what the glass is acting as so used that. Happy with results
20191208_150641.jpg
I then took the rebate off the remaining part from the 2nd frame and cut them to fit the lower rebate and fitted in. I decided to not trim the depth so that will give me 44mm of clearance from glass to mountboard.

I am having to wait for customer to come back to decide on frame colour, but just finishing off as normal. I have put an offcut of mountboard so i can place items in position.
20191208_165355.jpg
20191208_165458.jpg
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Wow, I've just found my up to date Rose & Hollis catalogue and seen what size the mouldind is. That's an impressive substantial looking frame. I like frames of generous proportioned mouldings, great idea!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Frangipaniframer
Organisation: Bell Fine Art
Interests: 1940-50s fashion, lifestyle and memorabilia. Sewing, crafting, and of course picture framing

Post by Frangipaniframer »

prospero wrote: Sun 08 Dec, 2019 2:10 am That's the ticket! :yes: :clap:

I found a nice way of blending the two on the outside edge. There is always a bit that stand proud no matter how
accurate you think you have cut. Use a piece of scrap glass to plane it. Better than sanding. One side of the glass
will be sharper than another. Got some pieces of scrap glass have you? :lol:
I’m so happy that I found this tip today! It works a treat! :D thank you for sharing!
Fran Howson GCF APF