Shipping of frames

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Jacky Dahlhaus
Organisation: Folla Framer
Interests: Restoration of old oil picture frames

Shipping of frames

Post by Jacky Dahlhaus »

We recently bought several paintings in gesso frames on eBay. The first one came packaged in a whole roll of bubble wrap, placed in a large box filled with foam bits. This was obviously sent by someone who has dealt with the shipment of paintings before.

The last shipment we received was one of two large paintings. When I received it, I was immediately shocked at how this person had packaged it. They were two large paintings (about 100 cm x 75 cm). They were facing each other with one layer of bubble wrap between them :roll: . The two were then wrapped in about 2-3 layers of bubble wrap. There were single pieces of carton wrapped around them, but I could see the corners of the paintings through the packaging. Needless to say that the frames suffered terribly by this treatment. Pieces of gesso had fallen off everywhere, and I will need to figure out where they came from. The wood on some of the corners had even been damaged.

So sad :(
Jacky D.

"Communication is the key" :D
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Shipping of frames

Post by Not your average framer »

Just guessing, but were these frames from sellers on eBay? If so, the damage is not particularly surprising. There are a few comments which I can offer.

Firstly, if the two frames were packed face to face, it is always good to wrap them individually and it is a good thing to add a piece of hardboard between the two to spread any impact from rough treatment over more than just a small area on each frame. I am not a big fan of bubble wrap and there are too many people, who don't realise that you need an adequate thickness to provide any meaningful level of protection.

Secondly, there is a need to protect against damage will an external object is able to penetrate the bubble wrap and this necessitates a external barrier which is able to resist penetration damage. This is usually added on top of the bubble wrap, so people think that any old cardboard box is enough, but I'm more in favour of hardboard. It's usually cheaper than MDF and for the same thickness is a bit more resistant to damage, because it's a bit more bendy.

Someone on this forum suggested adding a this way up lable to encourage the couriers to stand it upright to stop the courier pilling other stuff on top, which sounds like good advice to me.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jacky Dahlhaus
Organisation: Folla Framer
Interests: Restoration of old oil picture frames

Re: Shipping of frames

Post by Jacky Dahlhaus »

I wished this seller on eBay had read your reply, Mark! There was no support to the two paintings at all. They were paintings on baord, not canvas, and unfortunately, one of the boards was torn when I received it and the frame split. It's a nice frame, so I'm hoping to restore it to a decent condition.
All of the frames we have ordered were packaged on bubblewrap, but only one was put into a box with styrofoam. A nice frame arrived today and it was one of the better ones, but this, too, had suffered damage from the teansport. Fortunately, I have all the pieces that fell off, so I can glue them back on again. I have lots to practice on! 😄
Jacky D.

"Communication is the key" :D