New frame, had a bit of an experiment.

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Orde02
Organisation: Northwood Framing
Interests: Painting, flying, cycling

New frame, had a bit of an experiment.

Post by Orde02 »

Hello everyone.
Just finished this frame today. I just need to clean the glass and secure everything but I wanted to show it as I spent an age on it today and wanted to show it to someone (None of my family or friends are remotely interested in framing :lol: )
I had a vision in my head of how I wanted this to look and it's not far off. I made quite a few mistakes along the way, some really stupid ones, but learned a lot more. In fact, it almost ended up in the bin this morning.
Anyway, it's finished and although perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, I'm really happy with it.
I've always thought that a painting is never finished until a framer has worked his or her magic on it but to be able to frame my own paintings creatively has opened up a whole new world! I can see now that the finished painting is only part of the overall piece and there's so much more I can do.

Regards

Matt

beetle frame.jpeg
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Re: New frame, had a bit of an experiment.

Post by poliopete »

I like it Matt :D and applaud your imagination :clap: :clap: :clap:

Peter.
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

Hi Matt,

Love the painting and a really well finished frame.

If i am being honest (which i imagine you are looking for), the frame is a bit too heavy for the painting. It is not the width of the frame, but i think the inner lip painted black does it for me. My eye is drawn away from the art towards the frame, and i think its the black inner lip that is doing it. Of course, this is just my opinion, and i am by no means right.

I like the idea of the colour tying in with the background of the painting, and like i said the finish is great.

Cheers

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

Congratulations there, you're making and designing your own frames. And knowing how you want things to look helps enormously. It's more often the case of, "let's try a bit of this on and see what happens".
I'm going to agree with fusionframer here where he feels the inner black rail distracts from the painting. There is a guide I try to use when designing any frame - consider the first inner 10 to 15mm as the picture Frame that frames the art and then build out further, as furniture only . On that basis, the inner rail on that frame is a bit too heavy. Being just a bit though can make a world of difference.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Orde02
Organisation: Northwood Framing
Interests: Painting, flying, cycling

Post by Orde02 »

Thanks for the feedback VF and FF. I see what you mean about the black inner rail and really appreciate your critique. This was an experiment and being my first attempt at something like this, I'm hoping my eye for such things will improve. I've only been framing since Sept last year so experimenting and getting feedback from more experienced framers will help a lot I'm sure.
I do still really like the frame though and the inner rail doesn't bother me enough to try and change it. The photo above was taken at night under a lamp but it does look all looks a bit brighter and not so heavy in daylight.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Looking forward to my next project.

Matt
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Well done. Some real creativity here and some real development of skills and the all important eye for how things will look. With ever bit of practise we all devep into skilled framer's, Which is the way most of us have become what we are today.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Looking good. I'm coming at it from the opposite direction, I can make the frames but I'm working on my art to put into some of them!
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk