Tray frame from standard rebated moulding

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Felicity
Organisation: Makers' Gallery
Interests: Framing is the mainstay of my business. I particularly enjoy the challenge of working with textiles and delicate art works.

Tray frame from standard rebated moulding

Post by Felicity »

Long story short, I wanted to create a tray frame from a standard rebated moulding. I'm thinking to call it the triple - banger method:
Attachments
Skinny oak frame reversed so it is face down
Skinny oak frame reversed so it is face down
The canvas stretcher sits into the oak frame, like a mini tray. It's pinned into place with small nails through the sides
The canvas stretcher sits into the oak frame, like a mini tray. It's pinned into place with small nails through the sides
The oak frame provided a lip on which the standard rebated moulding could sit, positioned just above the canvas
The oak frame provided a lip on which the standard rebated moulding could sit, positioned just above the canvas
The triple - banger from the back: the main frame has been secured with standard framers points
The triple - banger from the back: the main frame has been secured with standard framers points
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Tray frame from standard rebated moulding

Post by Not your average framer »

Yes, that works quite nicely and it's somewhat different too! There's a lot to be said for doing things that are a bit different. I think the ability to produce things that are a bit different can be very helpful from a marketing perspective and there's no shortage of people who have a thing for things that look a bit different, and special.

The finished colouring looks pretty good too! Nice job and nicely executed as well. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Hey Mark,
That's interesting.
How is the canvas held in the Oak frame, as it looks like it would fall out of the top frame without fixings? I can't see any.
Justin
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I don't know, but it's good a nice look about it and quite a different way of doing things. I rather like it. It's a really original idea from one of our newer members. Love it.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

Sorry Mark, thought it was yours.
@Felicity, how is the canvas secured?
Justin George GCF(APF)
Not your average framer

Hi Felicity,

I was just wondering what the whole arrangement looked like from the side. Are the front and back mouldings flash at the sides, or is the front moulding proud of the back moulding at the sides. I think that having the back of the tray made of oak, and having the oak on display (so to speak), is a bit of an inspired touch.

To me that's an example of instead of trying to hide the rear moulding, it's on display and you've made it into a special feature, by not doing what everyone else does, but taking the opporunity to show off a nice piece of oak. Also if I am correct, I suspect the the underpinning of the rear moulding, was done from the front to be hidden by the front moulding, so that there is a lot of the underpinning is hidden from view.

Is the front moulding removable and how is the front moulding secured in place? I think that some of the really clever ideas, that you have used in doing this are not immediately obvious to even some other framers and it probably has taken a bit of time for some of us, to identify some of the rather well thought out and inspired thinking behind this approach.

First class thinking and execution! Really well done! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

I would be tempted to take in a stage further and loss the remaining underpinning wedges from the back a have as little visible fixings from the rear as possible. not that I would ever want to detract from such an amazing job. Well done, Felicity!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Felicity
Interests: Framing is the mainstay of my business. I particularly enjoy the challenge of working with textiles and delicate art works.

Post by Felicity »

Justintime wrote: Wed 24 Jun, 2020 4:19 pm Sorry Mark, thought it was yours.
@Felicity, how is the canvas secured?
The canvas stretcher is secured the old-school way, by hammering nails through the sides. In the photo below you can just see one little nail sticking up in the air
Attachments
168ED8BD-345A-4D79-BAA0-1E07C917D371.jpeg
Felicity

Post by Felicity »

Not your average framer wrote: Wed 24 Jun, 2020 5:03 pm Hi Felicity,

I was just wondering what the whole arrangement looked like from the side. Are the front and back mouldings flash at the sides, or is the front moulding proud of the back moulding at the sides. I think that having the back of the tray made of oak, and having the oak on display (so to speak), is a bit of an inspired touch.

To me that's an example of instead of trying to hide the rear moulding, it's on display and you've made it into a special feature, by not doing what everyone else does, but taking the opporunity to show off a nice piece of oak. Also if I am correct, I suspect the the underpinning of the rear moulding, was done from the front to be hidden by the front moulding, so that there is a lot of the underpinning is hidden from view.

Is the front moulding removable and how is the front moulding secured in place? I think that some of the really clever ideas, that you have used in doing this are not immediately obvious to even some other framers and it probably has taken a bit of time for some of us, to identify some of the rather well thought out and inspired thinking behind this approach.

First class thinking and execution! Really well done! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks for your appreciation! Like many framers, I’m often much more interested in the back than the front, guffaw.
The front moulding is removable as it is secured just with points. It’s a pretty chunky moulding: the giant 10mm rebate lip helped with making it look tidy from the front, and the depth meant everything including the canvas stretcher was hidden away from view the sides. I appreciate what you’re saying about making the oak construction at the back a feature however in the end I decided to tape the lot so it looks tidy for the customer, and to keep the points secure.
Felicity

Post by Felicity »

Sheesh photo didn’t attach
Attachments
30CBC8AC-5F3B-4304-8411-3EE85E2150AE.jpeg
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

That's great. Very tidy job. I wouldn't tape over the canvas on the back though. It will only damage the canvas in the long run. Imagine if the canvas ever nerds restretching in the future.
Justin
Justin George GCF(APF)