Wow

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Wow

Post by pramsay13 »

PXL_20210309_143854165.jpg
"No, I can't think why the artwork has fallen out"
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: Wow

Post by Steve N »

Don't think they have used enough tape, anyone can see that :giggle: :sweating:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Just can't get the staff these days! Or was it that they ran out of blue tack?

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Obviously not such high class bodgers as around here. Lots of stuff get secured to mounts with blue tack around these parts. Blue tack is very popular with some of the local artists Some of them make their own frames too. The glass size for all their frames is usually 18 x 24, which is the standard size for greenhouse glass down the local garden centre.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

I don't see the problem here, apart from the tape being the wrong colour? Is this what they call the bodge-hog method, will have to read up on this.... :lol:
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

The artists around here would not do that! They tend to prefer duct tape, presumably because that is not usuually safely removable from the back of their artworks. I saw one on saturday with pink duct tape, I did not know that there was such a thing as pink duct tape. Well, you learn something new every day!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Is that cockled or rippled? I can't tell! :lol:
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer

I think this must be a new trendy look! Not shabby chic, but just shabby, like we don't know what we're doing.

Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I can see the problem, they used flexi tabs….
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Post by Richard Photofusion »

Not your average framer wrote: Mon 21 Jun, 2021 12:11 pm The artists around here would not do that! They tend to prefer duct tape, presumably because that is not usuually safely removable from the back of their artworks. I saw one on saturday with pink duct tape, I did not know that there was such a thing as pink duct tape. Well, you learn something new every day!
We've got the building floor directional with matt orange from www.gaffatape.com. Colour coded tape has a real place - lights just here, tripod there, desk there, muppets in the corner.

Decent gaffer tape is a world away from nasty cheap duct tape. Very useful for keeping frames shut, when you've run out of pints and tabs. Nothing says s*d you to the next man, like cheap taope. Pro tip, never tear gaffer from a roll of tape with your teeth - reasonable chance of taking your lips off.
Hali
Organisation: Crafty Hangouts
Interests: picture framing and book reading

Post by Hali »

Not your average framer wrote: Thu 11 Mar, 2021 2:20 pm Just can't get the staff these days! Or was it that they ran out of blue tack?

Obviously not such high class bodgers as around here. Lots of stuff get secured to mounts with blue tack around these parts. Blue tack is very popular with some of the local artists Some of them make their own frames too. The glass size for all their frames is usually 18 x 24, which is the standard size for greenhouse glass down the local garden centre.
There's no fixed benchmark on the size of a small greenhouse, but the most popular hobby greenhouse size is 6×8 ft. Even though we classify this as small, it still gives you plenty of space to move around. It will easily harbor a good amount of plants and vegetables in it.
Not your average framer

My local hardware shop stocks 18" x 24" and that's what artists often bring in to me to get me to cut it to size it is actual sold as green house glass. I was always under the impreesion that greenhouse glass was 2mm thick, but this stuff is 3mm thick. Old fashioned green house glass used to be this size when green houses were made out of wood, but a lot of the modern ones are imported and I don't know if there is a standard size of glass for these. I've seen Green houses in a local really big store and these were glazed with plasic.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer