Using the HOTPRESS to iron out creases ?

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Using the HOTPRESS to iron out creases ?

Post by Bagpuss »

Hi,
first post for me, be gentle ... ; )
I have bought a Hotpress 260 recently and want to use it to try and iron out a certificate 4" x 12" which has been folded up for the last 20 years, there is an embossed sticker on it but that has been flattened out pretty much so I don't think the Hotpress will make that any worse, I will not be dry mounting, strictly conservation. How long / what temp would be best for this do you think ? The certificate is parchment with caligraphy on it.
Thanks in advance
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Roboframer

Re: Using the HOTPRESS to iron out creases ?

Post by Roboframer »

Welcome to the forum.

If it is real parchment - i.e. sheep or goatskin etc, then I wouldn't subject it to heat.

There is a method using dampened acid free blotting paper behind; dry on top - between two sheets of glass and a lot of weight on top. The blotting paper is replaced over a period of time with not quite so damp, even less damp and then dry. But I'd leave it to a conservator.

If it's creased you'll probably be left with marks where the creases were anyway.
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

Thanks for the advice Roboframer, I've never had the nerve to use that technique !
I guess I was just looking for a quick fix in the Hotpress, since I bought it a few months ago
I'm looking for any excuse to make use of it. : )
rgds
BPuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

Hi Bagpuss

I know a conservator in Bristol who deals with lots of parchment, vellum, etc
let me know if you want her contact details.
markw

Post by markw »

For flattening stuff that might not like any heat just set the temperature to its lowest setting - placing the piece between two sheets of mountboard and leave the vacuum on for 20mins or longer (switch the press off while the vacuum is running - the press will often retain the vacuum for quite a long time).

You have to be aware that this method has to be used with care - creases can flatten out to become unsightly folds - some things just wont flatten and you have to frame them allowing for their wayward state.