Fabric Stretching

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Jo
Organisation: The Frame Game
Interests: Would like to have some if I wasn't at work all the time!

Fabric Stretching

Post by Jo »

Hi all,

I know there's been many topics about fabric stretching but this is just a simple quick question!

What do people recommend using for the lacing of fabric pieces? Everything I've tried is too stretchy or too weak but I know there must be something ideal out there that I haven't tried yet. Your suggestions please?!!
Framing Norah

Post by Framing Norah »

Hi Jo,

Welcome to the forum.

On those occasions when the customer requires (and is prepared to pay for) lacing I use a strong cotton thread.

Yes, I know you will probably have read some tosh about using a thread that is weaker than the fabric being laced. The assumption being that framers are so stupid that otherwise they would apply such extreme tension as to cause damage. Anyway would some sort of strain gauge not be required in order to determine the strength of lacing thread needed for each job?
FN
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Fabric

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi,

I use a poly cotton thread, which I buy from Wigan indoor market. Its not the market that counts here, its the only darn place I can get it, I cant get it from a local supplier here, so buy it when over that direction. This doesnt stretch, and is plenty strong to hold most fabrics.

I agree to a certain extent with FN, framers arent stupid when it comes to tension and damaging the fabric, but where some framers go wrong is when lacing. Lacing should be paralell to the sides of the substrate and not laced diagonally, this is when the fabric is over stretched and damaged. Personally I would not use a overly strong thread, I use what is necessary, and whether the customer is willing to pay for it or not, I always lace the fabric...it is then left up to them whether or not to have it framed.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
Coxby
Organisation: Creative Picture Framing
Interests: Art

Post by Coxby »

When stretching fabrics we find it much easier to sew an extra inch of material onto all four edges of the artwork which can be bent around your substrate ready for lacing. Like SquareFrames we use a poly cotton thread from the local haberdashery.