Hand Carved reverse standard profile.

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Geoff

Hand Carved reverse standard profile.

Post by Geoff »

This is a normal standard reverse profile that I carved recently. Once gessoed,the majority of detail was done with a dremmel using a fine cutter. Finish is gold leaf, distressed and finished with white clay and a pale tone.
Attachments
reverse profile carved.JPG
reverse profile carved.JPG (30.44 KiB) Viewed 4991 times
A3DFramer
Organisation: Collectors Cases
Interests: Virtual 3D Model making, Digital Graphics.

Re: Hand Carved reverse standard profile.

Post by A3DFramer »

Interesting that you are using a Dremel for such long, demanding work. I am interested in the use of such tools as we used dental workshop suspension drills as the dremel/dremel equivalent of 20+ years ago would have not coped with the work load of my workshop.

I was impressed with the Dremel and their range of cutting tools, when I went on their stand at last years Gift Fair. My only critism was their prices for bits and cutters were about twice as expensive as the prices I paid through a dental wholesaler, though I was lucky to have a personal relationship with a national stockist.

One particular job I did, creating a Trophy for a National Breed Society's best of breed trophy, hinged on the use of a suspension drill and the availability of diamond tipped drills, these tools put this range of work well into the framer's catchment.

Congratulation on the quality of work, do you use high speed burrs or the carbide cross-cut and how do you find the different shapes help speed up or lend to particular designs. The design shown is very attractive with a good traditional appearance.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Thank you for your comments. Once the bare timber was sized I carved the basic top and back rail shape. The entire frame was gessoed as normal and I used high speed burrs for the top and back rail depressions and a very small carbide cutter to incise the rest of the detail. It was gessoed again and treated as you would any frame to be gilded. It might appear to be a long job but actually It wasn't. I find the Dremmel an extremely useful piece of equipment and I use it with many projects ie: incising a design on a flat, cross hatching, adding veins to leafs etc. Just has so many uses. I agree, some of the cutters can be expensive.
A3DFramer

Post by A3DFramer »

The Dremmel has obviously become a far more robust tool over the the last decade or so, the cost of outfitting a workshop with suspension drills was a serious investment, now the potential that this type of tool has to offer has great potential for those with the imagination to harness it.

I think that you have unlocked some of the creative potential of the shapes of the burrs available from these tools in a very impressive manner.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Incidentally, the carving is supposed to depict my interpretation of half cut olives, the frame being for an oil painting of olive trees in an Italian landscape.
A3DFramer

Post by A3DFramer »

Now that is what I call ammunition for a sales pitch. What customer drawn to that framed picture could not realize that they are buying something special and hand crafted when that is explained to them.