Golf glove vitrine

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Golf glove vitrine

Post by Abacus »

image.jpg
image.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 12564 times
Just made this case for a Seve Ballesteros glove

Started by routing an extra rebate into some small oak moulding then double mitred the joins

Just needs a bit of sanding and filling and then a coat of wax
A3DFramer
Organisation: Collectors Cases
Interests: Virtual 3D Model making, Digital Graphics.

Re: Golf glove vitrine

Post by A3DFramer »

Congratulations, that is a great piece of case making, I am correct in interpreting your moulding profile as shown in my sketch and not a pure angle, your photo seems to bear this out.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (52.96 KiB) Viewed 12522 times
Your triple double mitres are excellent and a very good clean finish on the interior.

What are the dimensions of the oak moulding, to get such clean lines the thicknesses of both the rebates must be very precise.
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

My moulding ends up as per your excellent diagram. It starts as 13mm square and I run it through my router table with a rebating bit but using a fence, not the bearing to get the extra rebate the same as the original

It's from rosé & hollis by the way
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

That's not an easy job to do, a lot of work goes into a job like that. Superbly executed! :clap: :clap: :clap:

May I ask how you joined the mitres? Are they just glued? I can't see any evidence of any fixings.

Very impressed!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
A3DFramer

Post by A3DFramer »

Ah, so many paths of creative and innovative framing lead back to Bernie and Adrian's products. I should like a photo to show them the next time I see them. We have talked often on the need for mouldings for the case maker and they passed on quite a few commissions to my business, before I retired.

I scaled my diagram on a 15mm,15mm moulding, not too far out :Slap: I too should be interested in your choice of adhesives, I take it that the clearance for underpinning is too tight for the slimmest wedge.

Two part miter adhesive would form the carcass, but surely the panes need to add to the overall strength of the unit or am I way out :oops: .
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

Thanks for the positive comments.

The mitres are just glued, the strength comes from the glazing silicon which holds the glass in.

I'm expecting a stuffed owl in in the next couple of months so will have to upscale, probably to 20mm squared oak.
strokebloke
Organisation: Turn Around Artwork
Interests: Photography, Wood-turning, Wood Carving; Bench Joinery, Cycling:
Learning new framing techniques!
Precision engineering

Post by strokebloke »

In the 60's when display counters were made in this fashion, the mitred joints were dovetailed together with bowtie inserts.
Then a veneer, mitred to reflect the joint, but cover the bowtie, was glued on the faces.
Slightly larger sections - about 7/8" (21mm)
The glue wasn't as good as some of the modern adhesives, and there was no such thing as glazing silicons to hold the whole thing together.
Its strength and integrity relied upon the joints and the glue bond.
The glues were either animal, casien or formaldehyde. The best was Cascamite.

Your work looks very commendable
http://www.turnaroundartwork.co.uk
Good advice is best learned, rather than simply listened to.
A3DFramer

Post by A3DFramer »

I should be interested to get pictures/diagrams of those bowties, as seems to be a progression of the Victorian to pre-war display case construction. I certainly found epoxy resin in this form of semi-carcase construction, which seemed go back to this era.

Abacus' method has, I suspect, safety merits over methods of bonding 2mm glass directly with Silicone sealant, even if the direct bond is stronger.For this reason I have strong reservations about the method described a few years ago in Picture Business and the method in Art Business Today a couple of years back had a certain lopsided quality, although it was a more natural picture framers approach.

I find the Abacus Method has a sad irony, because the head of one of the major framing supply companies told me that the case/vitrine has no place in modern framing as it does not sell mouldings. I believe there is a pathway from this method to using pre-prepared mouldings, if this is so then the styles of vertical framing and horizontal framing would be linked.

But method is not all, take one method and study the procedures of assembly, different pathways tend to open up. Procedure is especially relevant, where sealants are used as misplacement leads lengthy cleaning time.

Back to the owl, at one time I used to market a standard owl case, though not a fan of set sizes it was a marketing ploy and seemed suit the needs for the more common poses of Tawny Owl. Also it became a good seller at Antique Markets for costume dolls. Base size 12x8 inches, 18 inches high. I think that your upscaling will produce a very nicely balanced vitrine around these proportions, if it is modelled perching, do not allow the tail to be too close the base of the case and allow space above the head so that the top-front does not cut off the head at normal viewing positions. Worth asking the client where it is likely to be placed, sideboard height or above.

I also believe that the case maker has a duty of care and needs to understand the environment that the work will go into. When a two part case develops top weight, the base plays an important part in handling, also any furniture it may rest on needs protection either in the design of the base or the understanding of the client.

I have made a scale model (above sizes) of a case cover by your method with a 20mm, 20mm section, in it is a 12in high bottle on a 6in high block.

abacus owl case on bench 600.jpg
abacus owl case on bench 600.jpg (350.41 KiB) Viewed 12394 times
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

Some great advice there, thanks. And also perhaps the best framing quote ever, "I used to make a standard size Tawny Owl case" fantastic!
A3DFramer

Post by A3DFramer »

A generous accolade and deserves some more of the story, but that was not the only standard case I came up with though it is the one that sticks in my mind. The Antiques and Fine Arts Controller of the Trust House Fortes Hotel Group came up with a plan for which he needed a large number of stuffed game birds.

I came up with a plan to fulfil his wishes, knowing that the load space of 95 cubic feet specified for the British Leyland Sherpa van actually could be stretched to just over a 100 cubic feet, I set about making assorted "standard size cases" for a taxidermists most popular lines. These were all based on the sizes of glass I could most economically cut out of horticultural glass, sizes of 3mm, which were subsidized for agricultural purposes.

I then set off with a packed Sherpa Van full of glass cases, trimmed with stained and french polished ramin, in assorted styles (angle and birdsmouth) and colours. Starting north up through Lancashire at Darwin I called in on the taxidermist, who supplied the live pigeons for Coronation Street, as it was early in the morning, I got him before he left for filming in Manchester and exchanged some nice game birds for cases, from there I crossed over into north Yorkshire working my way south. I did a great deal on ornamental ducks that had died from some epidemic in a wildlife park and by the time I was in East Anglia I was building up a good stock of game birds, which pack more tightly than glass cases. So when I spent the night with a dealer friend I was able to load a few more cases of stock I had made for him with the promise to replace it, and the next day found me in London and Kent.

Late that evening I rolled up in Bourton on the Water in Oxfordshire with a van full stuffed game birds at a very posh house. Here I exchanged my van full for a very sizable Trust House Fortes cheque, a plate full of ham sandwiches and 2 extremely generous whisky and sodas that together with the phenomena of the recently introduced breathalyser kept me awake for the rest of my trip home.

I am forever grateful that cheque COD because my contact fell in a night of the long knives, when Fortes daughter took over, stuffed birds were replaced by soft furnishing and the rewards of my epic was not have been diminished by the slow grind of the Fortes Accounts dept. mincing machine.

This trip was never repeated.
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
A3DFramer

Post by A3DFramer »

Playing around with your 20mm, 20mm profile in virtual reality, I find the workshop in my computer cheaper to provide the materials for than the real one in my shed. This may be a bit out because I cannot go online for the profile of the Rose & Hollis' oak moulding and their hard copy is buried deep somewhere. I speculate that it might be possible to underpin with a 7mm wedge in the bottom frame without intruding on the second mitre.
7mm_wedge_top_frame_601.jpg
7mm_wedge_top_frame_601.jpg (204.41 KiB) Viewed 12308 times
This also for the top frame and where I have used this technique to avoid the unsightly evidence of the wedge and have found that a hollow ground pin punch fits neatly over the corner of the wedge and a sharp tap will countersink it so that it can be filled over.
7mm_wedge_top_frame_600.jpg
7mm_wedge_top_frame_600.jpg (175.84 KiB) Viewed 12308 times
7mm_wedge_top_frame_602.jpg
7mm_wedge_top_frame_602.jpg (166.51 KiB) Viewed 12308 times
My measurements suggest that there is a bit over 2mm to play with.
7mm_wedge_top_frame_603.jpg
7mm_wedge_top_frame_603.jpg (169.91 KiB) Viewed 12308 times
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

Thanks for the calculation, I will have to experiment with offcuts, but it looks good