Script blocking software

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Script blocking software

Post by Not your average framer »

I'm thinking about installing a script blocker onto my computer, but since I don't have any experience of script blockers, I thought I would ask those who might know more about such things, if they are worth installing.

My assumption is that installing a script blocker might improve speed and performance when using my web browser. Can anyone advise about this?

Thanks in anticipation,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Re: Script blocking software

Post by kev@frames »

https://adblockplus.org blocks adverts. adverts are the unwanted crap that clog up pages loading.
Blocks almost all banners, all pop-ups and most video ads - even on myface, youtube etc.

most of the other legitimate scripts, java runtime, adobe flash etc are actually necessary and give you a better "user" experience. So you need to keep them or else you may lose useful features on sites, the rest of the garbage and adware get dealt with by microsoft security essentials, avg, zone alarm (or other security software). popup blockers will probably be set on as default in your browser anyway.

also (suggestions)
try chrome or firefox browsers.

use a mobile browser on android tablet or an Ipad IOS.

any help?
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

what kind of speed broadband do you have? most places have access 1-5Mb, this should be quick enough for browsing comfortably

maybe its the computer isnt up to it

as kev says lots of those blockers can block stuff you need, so need a bit of finessing

i use firefox, and havent needed to add any blocking apart from the built in stuff
kev@frames

Post by kev@frames »

another thing that slows page loading often is toolbar "helpers" and antivirus toolbars, "safe site" checkers built into some Anti Virus, which are also scripts that you might be running.

blocking these scripts is simply disabling them in your browser settings, or keeping an eye on what is being installed alongside the main software (eg. anti-virus) and clicking "no" to these addons at the time.

Some of these slow up your browser startup because they scan for new versions of themselves each "cold" start. then go on to scan each site on the search result page every search, even if you don't then click to it, and then scan the page you do click on before displaying the scanned parts.

Google "instant" can sometimes slow things up in search. Bing "instant" doesn't for some reason.

For an experiment:
I'd try a fresh install of any new browser that you haven't tried before: pick from (for example) firefox, chrome, opera or Maxthon. Then see how the pages perform in this fresh "clean" browser. If its significantly quicker, you can assume that your usual browser is bogged down with addons, extra virus scans, etc. Maybe even junkware/adware that you didn't know is there. Its a tried and trusted quick test.

Like steve says, most broadband is more than up to the job of delivering the web pages quickly, it depends on what happens your end.
So thats your sunday night taken care of ;)
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Thanks Guys,

There are times when my computer slows down a lot and I get a screen warning that a script has not finished whatever it is doing.

When I click the option to stop the script, I usually get back the lost speed, so I figure that I would like to block the scripts, but I was not sure if this was a good idea or not.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

Hi Kev,

I have just read your last post and I have recently upgraded my anti-virus, which has resulted in add-ons to my browser. I think you may have explained why things are not working like they should.

BTW, last time I checked my broadband speed, it was about 8 Meg, but that was before the safe search got added to the browser.

Thanks for the info.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

To update everyone.

Following Kev last post, I have disabled the anti-virus "safe search" facilty and removed the anti-virus toolbar by using the configuration controls included in my browser. Doing this has massively improved my speed and performance on line.

My thanks to Kev for this hot tip! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Would I be correct in thinking that installing "Ad blocker plus" would also lead to similar benefits in speed and performance?
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
kev@frames

Post by kev@frames »

I think you've got your main improvement already mark.

Adblock might slow page loads by up to a second. but save the time on some with not playing video ads etc.
you can disable it/enable it in your browser addons.

swings and roundabouts. If ads bother you on the sites you use, then its worth it. If you don't mind the ads, then I wouldn't really bother.

best setting is "allow unobtrusive advertisments" if you use it. then it only blocks the ones that take the mickey.
Not your average framer

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the info.

I've already loaded "Ad blocker plus" and I think that what you've just said is generally in keeping with the results I've been getting.

I would say that after weighing up the pro's and con's, Ad blocker plus has still proved benefcial and my browser is performing better than before I installed ABP.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer