New Valiani user

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
daviddeer

New Valiani user

Post by daviddeer »

Hi all,
Just got my shiny new Mat-pro 120 and I love it. I have only found that when cutting several double mounts out of full sheets the top board moves over the lower on....gnashing of teeth as board disintegrates. I now cut each layer seperately.
I downloaded the updated future mat cutter software last week from Fletcher-Terry and installed it as per intructions. However I now get the message "unable to access the current version of future software". I am using windows xp with version 4.01 software installed.I did a full uninstall and reinstalled 4.01 and then 4.20 but the same problem arose. I tried the config.exe in the future mat drawer but it could not connect to the cmc on serial port 1,2 or 3.
Is there a patch I should be applying or copying settings from the old program? Or should I install version 4.10 over 4.01 and then use 4.20?
Just as a side note I love the Valiani as it does everything I want, no manual homing, cuts board to size, does three layers at once, automatic layout optimisation, very fast etc.... need I say more.
Giclee is just a term for a little squirt making lots of money
Remember conservation Framing is an art, for everything else there's Araldite
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hi David
Welcome to the world of Valiani.
You will not be disappointed at all with your CMC. I have had mine for nearly two years now and after the software updates am still very impressed with the speed of it.

Re: the slipping under mat. Are you using a slip mat as well. If not then highly recommended to do so. Plus it will stop the table getting scored if you make a error of judgement. :oops:

I will contact you by PM re the other query you have.
John GCF
daviddeer

Post by daviddeer »

Hi Merlin,
Yes I am using a slip mat, the problem arises when I cut a double mat with multiple aperatures. With all three mats on the cutter (1 slip mat and two mount mats for cutting) I find that the top right cut coming from top to bottom [after taking out the scrap] curls the board and by the time it reaches the lateral cut it has dragged the board edge under the cutting head. It thus tears the top board to pieces as it proceeds with the other cuts.
markw

Post by markw »

It sounds to me that you either have the jockey wheel set incorrectly - or something is stopping the clamp from clamping properly. New Valiani - who set it up for you?
daviddeer

Post by daviddeer »

The clamps work fine it is only the un-clamped top right hand corner giving me problems. I will look at the Jockey wheel and see if that is set correctly.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

The order that multiple apertures are cut is important.

It is always best to cut the aperture closest to the upper right corner first. That way the aperture furthest from the clamps will get cut while the rest of the board is intact and able to provide best resistance to the movement of the blade.

If it is done the other way round then that last aperture is being cut after the board has been made into a flimsy lattice-work by all of the previous apertures.

If you see what I mean?
markw

Post by markw »

If the board you are using has a slight curl this can cause problems. I would also make sure that you have a new blade in place. I tend to just put a little bit of tape on the far corner if the board doesn't sit flat. I cut loads of multi apps and rarely get any problems on my Valiani.

If you have purchased this machine from new why aren't you hassling Valiani to get your software upgrade working for you. In my experience Valiani's tech support is very good.
daviddeer

Post by daviddeer »

Thanks everyone,
Emailed Fletcher-Terry and Valiani. Fletcher-Terry called Valiani, Valiani telephoned me from Italy. Fletcher terry's version of future cut doesn't run on my Machine. So that baby is put to rest (I hope).
Waiting for reply from Valani for new software request (version 4.30).

Thanks for all the advice.
Now I have to find a method to get the top and bottom mounts to line up for assembly after being cut; with ATG fighting me all the way.
markw

Post by markw »

the method I use to keep mounts lined up is to stick the mountboards together at the bottom (bottom clamp) using pva - by the time you have cut the mount the pva has stuck fast.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

I think you will find that version 4.3 is for the interchangeable head model. Is that the one you have?

Version 4.2 is for the NON interchangeable head model.

Also the software is Serial coded. i.e. you will need the configuration files from valiani for your machine.

As MarkW says you need to email Valiani at

nico@valiani.it

They are excellent.

WRT your problem, likewise I cut lots of multi aperture mounts and always start at the top right.
Is your jockey wheel moving/ spinning freely?
John GCF