Canon IPF6100 help required

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Canon IPF6100 help required

Post by Trinity »

Printer laid up for 3 years. Switched on did 3 nozzles check with poor but getting better results, but 1/2 the ink lights were flashing anyway. Then thought to look at the ink delivery tubes and 5 were clear 4 full and 3 had splashes of colour in them. Could do with decision making matrix, as I need to get it going.

Heads -is it possible to clean them now, so that any of the new inks stand a better chance of getting through, or straight to new heads (£305 apeice inc VAT)

Delivery tubes - can they be cleaned, or even replaced to match up with a new set of inks.(£?)

Inks - I need them anyway, it's just a question of whether to chance in the old heads with the risk of losing x% of the ink.(£49)

So it's a question of risk- new heads / tubes, clean up old heads and tubes either option being paired with a new set of inks.

If I take the plunge is anyone aware of anything else that might cause problems. Stored in dry warm atmosphere.

I'd really appreciate some thought to allow me to move forward - I've a stack of photo printing to frame.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
CanvasChris
Organisation: Retired Picture Framerand Printer
Interests: mountain biking & drinking beer.... not necessarily in that order!

Re: Canon IPF6100 help required

Post by CanvasChris »

If you didn't drain it before storage I think you are going to need new heads/lines and +???.
3 years is too long with ink in them, they would have set solid. The indication of the ink lines showing no ink means that the water would have evaporated and the pigment is left behind so if run up again with fresh ink it would pull all the crusty ink through and block the heads.

Have you thought about the ink hoppers? the ink isn't all held in the tanks, some is held in a feeding tank. When I changed my 8000 for a 8400 it drained 2ltrs out to enable moving....without the tanks in.... now that was expensive!!!

I never switch my 8400 off and neither did with the 8000 for 5years before , even when away for a month on holiday. They wake up momentarily every day and agitate the hoppers and occasionally do a nozzle check.

Probably cheaper in the long run to buy a new printer and strip and sell parts on ebay... power board, control board, motors etc..
Canvas, Acrylic, Photographic, Fine Art Printing & Framing
http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk
Vanderast
Organisation: Pier St Gallery
Interests: Photography

Post by Vanderast »

Hi, I recently dug out my large format printer, a epson pro 4800. I hadn't used it for 6 (yes six!) years. Four of the delivery tubes were empty and I couldn't do a head clean or print a nozzle check because the maintenance tank was full. I didn't want to spend out on a tank just to find out if the printer worked or not so I sent off for a chip resetter. While I was waiting for it to be delivered I soaked some strips of cloth with isopropanol and left them in contact with the print head for a few days.

I think I very lucky to be saying this but when I was finally able to do a power clean it only needed to be done once. During the cleaning cycle the tubes filled with ink and now it's printing perfectly. I've had print head problems before and the isopropanol has always done the trick though of course, it's not an officially recognised way to unblock heads so proceed with caution.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Thanks fellas, boy do I need help on this dilemma - Vanderast, doesn't that stuff just evaporate, how did you keep it wet.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Vanderast
Organisation: Pier St Gallery
Interests: Photography

Post by Vanderast »

It seems to stay moist if you just refresh it each day.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Epson printers are not the same animal, the heads on the cannon are a consumable, they have more nozzles than required and when one gets blocked a laser sees this and tells the printer to abandon that one and open another, I don't think there's a way to reset this, there is no cleaning them, this is not a bad thing normally because of the saving in ink, but if you have dried ink in the lines you will go through heads like there is no tomorrow, so it would be ink lines and heads, one missed lump of chod and your into another new head. I think the first suggestion of replacing the whole printer will save you a lot grief.

Darren
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Bit the bullet today, and ordered another albeit refurbished printer, that comes with a 1 year warranty.