CMC Comparisons

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

It's summat along those lines. I've certainly improved over some of the stuff I've seen in some publications.

I'd dearly love to be able to do washlines. I think that they are so elegant! I'd love to attend a Washline Seminar at the Spring Fair. I understand it all in theory, but I'd find it extremely valuable to be able to watch someone demonstrating the techniques: I find I can learn more effectively by seeing something done. Look forward to seeing the pics, John!
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Pic 1 = Mat black mount with Gold inlay - Cornish shield

Pic 2 & 3 = Open V groove. Normal and up close.

Pic 3 = Celtic Knot. You have probably seen before

John GCF
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Wow! As you know, I already love your Celtic work Merlin, but that middle mount is stunning. How do you tackle joining the mounts together, especially the "floating" squares in the corners?

Want a CMC more than ever, now..... :cry:

(Wonder if 'Robo' John has any spare tissues, so I can wipe my chin.....)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Nothing special, just 'dabs' of DS tape.

Fortunately it is quite simple. I place both mounts on the CMC, even though I am only cutting the top mount. The reason for this is that the blade just penetrates the top paper layer of the bottom, giving me an exact positioning line.

Another 'inlay' I have used to good effect is using the Metallic paper tape - LION page 56. Making sure that the corners are mitred accurately. similiar procedure to doing the shield inlay.

If you have any Celtic type of design that you feel could be put into a CMC then please let me know or send a picture.
John GCF
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Moglet wrote: Look forward to seeing the pics, John!
Well I took a load today and they came out rubbish - looked OK on the camera screen but not on the PC screen - probably set my camera to something weird - I know I've put gridlines in the camera screen and don't know how I did or how to get rid of them - must have pressed something else I don't understand!

Anyway - there are some photos left in this link - not step by step but at least how to make a gauge and some samples - I'll try again soon.

I've brought that topic back up now anyway!!
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Wow! I am a novice in awe of a master artist and craftsman. Really beautiful, John!
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Phill

Post by Phill »

Yes those mounts are fantastic John, can't wait to see you in action, if I ever get down to see you that is. :lol:
Mike@GTP
Organisation: Get The Picture Framing & Thegrumble.com
Interests: Framing, technology, electronics. Computer consultant, 3d printing enthusiast, and framer

Post by Mike@GTP »

When I produced the CMC, Visualization, and POS lists - I did so from the perspective of the US market. It's possible that some of these items will have very different pricing in the UK and other markets. (for example, Valiani could be lower in UK and Wizard could be higher). Please take this into consideration when using the info on my comparison lists. I priced everything in US dollars, US taxes, and US measuring systems.

If you are aware of any that I missed, unique to the UK market, please drop me an email and i'll put them on the list.

best regards
Mike Labbe
USA
Get The Picture