Optical "Meece"

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Optical "Meece"

Post by Moglet »

W-e-l-l - whaddya expect from the Mogster? :wink:

Has anyone had problems using optical mice? Over the last few days, when I single-click on mine, the switch has developed the :twisted: hugely frustrating :twisted: tendency to bounce, effectively giving me a "double-click" all the frickin' time. As you can probably deduce, it's driving me NUTS!!!!!! :twisted: :xcomputer: :head: :xcomputer: :cry:

If anyone else has had this problem and solved it, I'd be very grateful for a steer!
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Microsoft offers some advice here.
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Re: Optical "Meece"

Post by WelshFramer »

Moglet wrote:Has anyone had problems using optical mice? Over the last few days, when I single-click on mine, the switch has developed the :twisted: hugely frustrating :twisted: tendency to bounce, effectively giving me a "double-click" all the frickin' time...If anyone else has had this problem and solved it, I'd be very grateful for a steer!
My optical Bluetooth mouse developed a similar fault and I found the perfect solution. In frustration I threw it across the desk and it ended up behind a filing cabinet. It's not double-clicking any more. :D

The replacement mouse is aware of what happens to errant mice. :twisted:
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
prospero

Post by prospero »

Quick solution. Get a new one. :) They don't last forever. :cry:
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Thanks for replies and advice, folks! Reckon I'll bite the bullet and get a new one. The weird thing about it, though, is that after I reboot the PC, it works ok for a while.... :? Bl**dy technology.... :evil:
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Áine,

I solved this problem years ago. Buy the cheapest windows compatible mouse in the shop, (I assume you use Windows) and buy two! Use one, put the other one in the draw ready for when the other one stops working as it should. Regularly clean the fluff out of the insides, especially if wrapped around the little spindles inside and chuck it in the bin when cleaning don't fix it!

BTW ignore any driver disk with the new mouse and carry on with the usually Windows driver. Drivers don't matter all the much and mice are expendible sooner or later. Works for me!
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

I agree with above- there is a lot of mileage in a three quid mouse.
... but with one exception (that maybe proves the rule) - either get the cheapest optical mouse in the shop, or get a genuine basic microsoft optical mouse. like all micro$haft's hardware, they are bulletproof. This one is surviving in our workshop lol!

heres a snippet of paranoia/conspiracy theory from the geek forums- some say the double click error is only happening on "corporate" (ie. probably pirate) XP pro. - ie. non-SP2.

But of course, we wouldn't know about that would we - dang, no smiley with a halo ;)

I subscribe to the knackered mouse theory meself, having had the problem on both optical and mechanical meeces/mouses/mice... input devices. I think the microswitches just get worn out.

One point - if its a USB mouse- try it in another port, try it not on a hub, and try it with a ps2 adapter in your ps2 mouse socket. If its a ps2 mouse, try it with an adapter in a usb socket.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

kev@frames wrote:I agree with above- there is a lot of mileage in a three quid mouse.
Only three quid, (and I thought £9.99 was a good deal)

In that case, I'll have four!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

kev@frames wrote:heres a snippet of paranoia/conspiracy theory from the geek forums- some say the double click error is only happening on "corporate" (ie. probably pirate) XP pro .... One point - if its a USB mouse- try it in another port, try it not on a hub, and try it with a ps2 adapter in your ps2 mouse socket. If its a ps2 mouse, try it with an adapter in a usb socket.
I've got a legit version of XP-Pro, so that's one in the eye for the conspiracy theorists. :P

It's a USB mouse - will try with the old swappy thang...

(Edit...) - PS, l-u-r-v the "micro$haft" monicker, Kev! :lol:
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

Moglet wrote: .........

(Edit...) - PS, l-u-r-v the "micro$haft" monicker, Kev! :lol:
I seriously think that if none of my computers were used for business, I would be using a "corp" XP or a cracked Vista, if I had to be honest.

It sticks in my throat (and gives me a wallet attack) buying the software AND paying for the operating system to run it on, to the same company, and then still have to validate everything and be treated as guilty till proved innocent by microsofts damned update website. ..

I still say their mice are good, though.
Not your average framer

I'm still using Windows 98 and Office 2000 small business edition. I'm yet to be convinced that being up to date is at all for my size of business!
w00dward
Organisation: Just here
Interests: 42

Post by w00dward »

Not your average framer wrote:I'm still using Windows 98 and Office 2000 small business edition. I'm yet to be convinced that being up to date is at all for my size of business!
The benefits of updating your computer would be better security and better hardware support.

Security: OS security is really only an issue if the machine is connected to the internet, either through web browsing or email. You should always ensure your machine is kept upto date with the latest virus scan tools. Even if it isn't connected to the web. Disks and shared documents can all be infected.

Hardware: Windows 98 did not support USB although I think there is a USB 1.0 driver knocking around on the web for it. Any hardware purchased now will not support Win98.

One important aspect of any computer system is backups and resiliency. How do you backup your documents? Is the backup kept on site? How often is the backup run?

Upgrading the PC to Windows XP I think would a very good move. It is reasonably cheap and easy to purchase still and it is going to be supported by Microsoft for a few more years. XP has become an extremely stable product now and this is why some parts of the MOD are looking at moving from 98 to XP at the moment. The largest cost would be upgrading the office product. Unless there is some functionality in the newer versions I would stick with 2000 SBE.
Paul.

Alcohol does not make you FAT
- it makes you LEAN ….
against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.