Wizard lettering/text - Double cut outs

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
zanart

Wizard lettering/text - Double cut outs

Post by zanart »

Hi

A customer has brought in a mount with lettering cut out and photos placed behind the lettering. I can do this on our Wizard mount cutter using the lettermat>photo2 opening. However the mount the customer brought in had a double mount and I don't think the wizard software allows for a double mount when using a font or letter.

Am I right and should I stop trying or am I looking in the wrong place??

Can this be achieved on another CMC??

Thanks
Rob
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

This can be easily achieved on the Valiani.

I am sure that it should be able to be done on the Wizard
John GCF
WizSteve

Post by WizSteve »

You certainly can do it on the Wizard, it's just not automatic. Using the PathTrace tool, you can offset the letters the distance you would like for the reveal, then just set the bevels and layers. Our helpdesk can certainly walk you through the process if needed.

This is roughly equivalent in complexity to the valiani. One of the reasons its not a built in feature is due to the complexity of the shapes. When you offset the paths, you want to make sure that the interior / concave cuts are offset properly so that any overlapping paths are trimmed.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Cut on a Valiani using Photo Font. Double mount with 5mm reveal

Not at all difficult. The V has a 'one click' facility to create a concentric shape either inside or outside of an original shape. A keyboard input dictates the reveal. Click OK and its done..
John GCF
WizSteve

Post by WizSteve »

Yeah, but its more than just one click, right? You have to type the letters and sizes in, position it somewhere on the mat, etc.. Wizard generates the offsets in one click too. But what happens if the paths overlap? What if you wanted the letters close enough together so that the top mat was one big outer cut? Things like that..

And here's Wizard's version - this took me only a minute, but then again I have an advantage..

and you can continue to drag the letters around, rotate them, resize them, merge them into openings, etc..
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi WizSteve

The question from Zannart was
"Can this be achieved on another CMC?"

Information was requested and I answered by saying that it is easily achieved on the Valiani and that I am sure it should be possible on the Wizard. I then posted an image.

Nothing more. I credited Zannart with commonsense and intelligence as I am sure he understands that you need to type the letters in and arrange them as required.

I am not into scoring points off of anybody and was not trying to promote/sell or defend my CMC choice.

I now will. I spent some 2 years looking at and playing with various CMC's and talking to quite a number of CMC owners/users. At the time of purchase the Wizard CMC became my second choice because it did not achieve some of my requirements or technical aspects I was looking for. Valiani did. I do not regret that purchase one bit.

Thank you though for posting Wizard's version.
John GCF