5th Annual Picture Framer's Technology Survey

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Mike@GTP
Organisation: Get The Picture Framing & Thegrumble.com
Interests: Framing, technology, electronics. Computer consultant, 3d printing enthusiast, and framer

5th Annual Picture Framer's Technology Survey

Post by Mike@GTP »

5th ANNUAL FRAMING TECHNOLOGY POLL & DISCUSSION NOVEMBER 2007

A survey that compares how we've applied technology such as mat cutters/cmc's, pricing/POS systems, visualization, internet access, websites, etc A brief comparison of backup procedures and computer security.

CLICK HERE TO PARTICIPATE

One question asks how many UNIQUE WEB VISITORS in Oct '07.
If you track such things, it will be useful to have this info in advance.

This survey runs 11/1/07-11/30/07. Results will be posted on 12/1/07.
RESULTS from previous surveys: http://www.custompictureframing.com/poll_results.htm

-If a vendor mass emails customers encouraging them to participate, their product will be disqualified
-One entry per shop or IP permitted
-This survey is intended for picture framers.
-Your poll selections are anonymous, although discussion is public and encouraged.
-Results represent only a small sample of the industry, and should NOT be used as a planning tool/business plan.
-Data is being collected fairly/neutrally through a polling company in the UK.
-This survey is purely for entertainment and to stimulate discussion about important issues.

Discussion welcomed.

Mike Labbe
Get The Picture Framing
http://www.getthepictureframing.com
Lincoln, RI
USA
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Dang - I thought I'd missed something, pressed the back button and lost it - now it says I have already taken the survey.

Anyway - no computer in our shop - the most high tec things are our till (cash register - and no, it's not barcoded, EPOS or anything) and a few calculators.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Roboframer wrote:Anyway - no computer in our shop - the most high tec things are our till (cash register - and no, it's not barcoded, EPOS or anything) and a few calculators.
Till! You are more high tech than us, we have a screw top jar and a cash book. What's more if it is daylight, we're pretty much immune to power cuts, if you don't count the heated press.
osgood

Post by osgood »

Roboframer wrote:Anyway - no computer in our shop -
Could this be my next mission John?

First it was encouraging you to make the transition from cord (please excuse the four letter word) to plastic coated wire......thank goodness for that.........now it's a computer in the shop for POS, etc. :wink: :wink:

What year are in now??? 1957...........nah.......it's 2007!!! :wink: :wink:

My first computer in my shop was in 1986 http://oldcomputers.net/c128d.html Struth...............that's 21 years.
It was my third computer and up until a few weeks ago I had four in the shop when I gave one to my brother so only have three now!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Well, we have 6 members of staff and a vacancy for a full time framer/manager.

I spend the whole working day making frames or taking orders - I come home, log on to The Grumble during their working hours and the place is buzzing - the chat room is too - I couldn't participate at work - I'm working!!

Maybe life would be easier with a POS/visualiation thingy and maybe a CMC would be like an extra employee blah blah. But I have to say the only time I wish I had data instead of triplicate books is when someone wants to match a frame from x months/years ago and we have to search through the relevant diary to find the relevant book - instead of just typing 'Smith' into a computer.

The amount of stock we hold - I just don't want to think about how long it would take to punch into a pooter.

I'm bloody useless on one anyway - but I'm not bothered one bit - we're just not geared that way.

I don't need anything else 'to do' thank you - had I been more computer literate when we moved here and set up these systems before we said 'BOO!' that would be different - but we built it, they came and they keep coming so fast it's as much as I can do to change the Morso blades and empty the shavings without making myself work overtime.

I think the 'giant' of our framing suppliers is D&J Simons - they are the ONLY supplier that I deal with that, when I ring an order through, cannot instantly tell me if anything is out of stock.

Annoying - but are they bothered?

Nor am I!
osgood

Post by osgood »

Roboframer wrote:I just don't want to think about how long it would take to punch into a pooter.
Do you know what is the difference between a blonde and a puter? Answer: You only have to punch the information into a puter once! :lol: :lol:
Roboframer wrote:I'm bloody useless on one anyway - but I'm not bothered one bit - we're just not geared that way.
I don't need anything else 'to do' thank you -
John,
I'm sure there is no law that says it is compulsory for you to access the forums while at work or one that says you have to be the one who sets up a POS system!
How many employees did you say you had??? If one of them couldn't add all your stock etc into a POS system, you could pay a professional to set it up for you!

As you have already admitted, your life would be easier with a POS and a CMC. The time that your business would save with a POS would be well worth it. Businesses with massive amounts of stock are the ones that benefit most from using a POS.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

osgood wrote: I'm sure there is no law that says it is compulsory for you to access the forums while at work.
My point is that there are many who have all the gear but no bloody work to do!

I have so much work to do I have no time to set the gear up - in a lot of respects I have painted myself into a corner - I need the Ramsay guy to come and kick my butt!!

A CMC I will get - I keep saying it, but I will - and when I do I'll need the first 'C' in 'CMC' to run it.

To even make room for it I'll have to get rid of a shedful of stock - so that will be a bit less to punch into any POS system that may follow, and if it does - dead right someone else will set it up - and hold my hand for a long time after whilst giving me Forum therapy and my wife arcade game therapy.

We talk to each other in the evenings by email - 30 feet apart via satellite!

At least in the shop we get to meet now and again!
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

We have a till as well !!!

Plus on the counter. A computer with a pricing programme on. Pre-view visualisation on two monitors.

In the workshop a computer for the Valiani CMC.

Soon to bet BB in the shop for the contract mount side of things.

I would not work without them now..

Computers are not the problem. It is nearly always the 'Floppy Link' that fails.

That is the person between the chair/stool and the keyboard. :P
John GCF
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Post by Spit »

Ah, the old ID-10-T error........

I'm fully IT'd, but it's too early to say if there's any benefit yet..... I've only been open two weeks.
Osgood wrote:First it was encouraging you to make the transition from cord (please excuse the four letter word) to plastic coated wire......
I've gone the other way - hated plastic coated wire, now stock cord :D
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : My status
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Spit wrote:
I've gone the other way - hated plastic coated wire, now stock cord :D
Was that 'SuperSoft Strand'?

How can anyone hate that - its luuuuurvely!
osgood

Post by osgood »

Roboframer wrote:
Was that 'SuperSoft Strand'?

How can anyone hate that - its luuuuurvely!
Hey John - should we both gang up on Steve about that vile stuff 'cord'??? :wink: :wink:

Hey Steve,
First thing that people should do to see if a framer is any good is inspect the back of the frame. One of the things about the rear view that looks cheap is.........'cord'. :o :o
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Spit wrote:I'm fully IT'd, but it's too early to say if there's any benefit yet..... I've only been open two weeks.
Just give it time, Steve! If my experience is anything to go by, you'll need every bit of help it can give you before very long! :D

In IT terms, I've only got a PC at the moment, which I mostly use to run my own jobcosting/order tracking/accounts system (Excel based). However, for relatively little data entry, and thanks to generous use of pivot tables, it generates jobsheets, workshop schedules, chase-up lists for getting work collected, and fairly comprehensive sales analysis. I archive job details in paper files, but if a customer wants a "same again, please" it's a no-brainer to enter their customer number, find the job reference and grab the spec from the lever arch file. I couldn't run the business effectively as a one-man-band without it. Worth the data entry for the "OY!! You Still Haven't Collected Your Order" report alone! :D

I hope to add a frame visualisation system next year, and a CMC after that (although after living out of boxes for the last 5 years, my desperate desire for a home of my own - and hence a mortgage - may push plans for the CMC back for a while.... :cry: )

For till, read "cashbox, A4 pad and biro."
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Sorry for double-post guys!

Ormond, I've used cord from day one, because that is what I was taught to use. I'm sure I'm not the only novice in this position. I'd really like to learn more about the benefits of using wire instead, and also recommendations on good products to use.

Any chance of you writing an article for the Framing Oracle about using wire versus cord? Pretty please!!! (prrrrrrrrr) :D
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
osgood

Post by osgood »

Aine,

OK, but it won't be today! :D
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Hi Ormond,

Thanks in antici............. pation! :wink:
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

.... its like the borg ship in here now....
3 pcs, cmc, digital scales, digital till, credit card machine, chip and pin, answering machines, cordless phones.... broadband, routers, hardware firewall, network hub, VPN.... tool chargers, alarms, web cam, cctv..... gah! Toms mobile phone, rcd trips, anti surge this that and the other.

i think we are drowning in electromagnetic soup... the only things recogniosable in here from the 20th century are the kettle and the fan heater

I do use the term PC loosely, as two of them are compaqs.... ;)
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

kev@frames wrote:....
credit card machine, chip and pin,
answering machines,
cordless phones
tool chargers.
That's what I have from your list!

Never use the answering facility on the phone though - so discount that one!
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Aaaarh! Kev. Modern technology - Compaqs

Hope you are feeding the cockroach in it...
John GCF
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Compaqs, eh? Could be worse. Could be Amstrads...... (off to wash mouth out with soap....)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB