Big probs on my Valiani 120 cmc

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
ticmike

Big probs on my Valiani 120 cmc

Post by ticmike »

Ive had my machine for around 2 years now, and last week the cutting arm started to jam when it got to a certain point , so we spoke to Richard (pergrine) and we decieded toget some new belts and bearings (thatthe arm moves along on), we have changed them today but now the machine wont home properly, it over-runs all the time until we hit the emergency stop button.
Not sure what to do and i was hoping someone mayhave an idea, as we are very busy at work and cannot do without our cutter for any period of time really.
Someone please help !!!!!!!!!!!
ARRRHHHHH :(
markw

Post by markw »

I am sure Merlin will be able to offer some advice. Little worrying that Richard cant fix this problem. Have you talked to Valiani - will send you the email address by PM.
osgood

Post by osgood »

I would have thought that the supplier of your machine would have a technical expert to help you with this!
Lemon_Drop

Post by Lemon_Drop »

I dont know anything about that model of mount cutter, but we use CNC's for glass cutting and a Gunnar for mount cutting.
All work on and X and Y axis. It seems the problem started when you changed the belts and bearings. Now the cutting head does not know where it is on the cutting bed.

Sounds like its a problem with a sensor, but thats just a guess.

Ormond is right, you need a techinical expert to help you solve the problem.
When its solved let us know what the problem was, so we can all be a little bit wiser.

:(
ticmike

Post by ticmike »

I have not spoken to Richard just yet, as i didnt want to bother him on a Sunday, but i wanted to see if i can get some input before i speak with him today.
I really do think that here in the UK we should have some regional based experts, to tend to emergencys (like this), as far as i know inthe whole of the UK we have Richard, i do think a lack of knowledge on the Valiani machines here in the UK is something they do need to address and quick.
As what would happend if Richard has gone on his hols for 2 weeks, i'd be stuck for 2 weeks unless i could solve the prob over the phone (from italy).
markw

Post by markw »

Sorry - I got the impression from your first posting that Peregrine had been with you and couldn't solve the problem. I am sure that Richard will be able to help.
I had a copy of the DVD showing how to change the belts - came to the conclusion that it went beyond my engineering abilities and that I would leave it to the experts - John (Merlin) successfully changed his belts - I was very impressed. (new belts are white - the old black belts are thought to occasionally shed black dust as they wear - this is thought to create marks on the mountboard - thus the advice to change belts).

The bearing - especially the one running in the bottom channel gets very dusty - its important to keep it clean and well lubricated. I blow the channels through with an airline and lubricate regularly.

UK Valiani users ought to be talking together to make sure we have an adequate back up service. My experience so far has been reasonably positive - but it has relied upon a fair amount of exchange with Valiani Italy. Fortunately they speak good English and use Skype so long calls to Italy haven't cost a fortune. The reality should be that we have in place a structured service routine so that a machine that we rely upon is always kept in top condition.

Any Valiani users who want to discuss forming a user group please get in touch by private message.
ticmike

Post by ticmike »

No i have not got round to speaking to Richard yet (didnt want to disturb him ona Sunday), a shall do so today and keep you all up to date with the progress.

I agree with Mark, we do really need some back up service. I would happily pay someone to service my machine a few times a year, as i reply on that machine to make a living, so i need it to function 365 days a year.
ticmike

Post by ticmike »

Well thankfully we are now back up and running, thanks to my dad and father in-law, who are both really technically minded.
What we did is take the runners off give them a power wash so they were ultra clean, then squared the cutting arm up with the table and it seemed to have done the trick, the machine now glides perfectly (like a dream).
I suppose the good thing to come out of this is that our knowledge on the machine has been boosted big time (which can only be a good thing).
If anyone has a problem and would like to pick our brains anytime, feel free to PM me.