Broadband Outage

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
prospero

Broadband Outage

Post by prospero »

Anyone got BB with EE? :P

About 2am this morning mine went tits up. DNS error or somesuch.... :?

I faffed about all night trying to fix it when I should have been working. I came to the conclusion that
it was not me, which was the more likely thing, but them. Rang the helpline at sparrow's and got a message
"We can't take your call....having problems...working hard to fix it..."

So it was them. :evil:

Anyway, had a kip, got up and it's working now. :ninja:

It did make me think that these days the lack of web access is not just an annoyance but a real crimp in your
existence. With peeps who do online sales even more so. All the things you do online - banking, ordering looking up
stuff is suddenly taken away and you are left in the proverbial. I even struggled to find a bit of paper with my account
number on it. :oops:

:(
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Broadband Outage

Post by Not your average framer »

The DNS look up service that you computer is configured to use is set up when you load the set up disc from your ISP. From what I understand some user edit these settings to use a different DNS service. Somebody who really knows their stuff, can probably explain more about this.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Peter, your correct about all the things done on line. Me, compared to most, I'm IT incompetent yet, not been to a Nationwide branch for at least 10 years. 99% of my shopping done on line including a weekly grocery shop. Takes a few mins' no carrying, no over spending, no fuel costs - I pay for a year delivery up front and its peanuts. All the gran kids press's bought on line. All meds ordered on line. :giggle:

Just need to learn how to up load photo's and I will be happy :(

With the exception of Wessex all supplies ordered on line.

Wessex have a branch within striking distance so it's a nice couple of hours out to go and pick up FF moulding. I like to check the quality there and that saves a lot of grief. The lads in the warehouse are very helpful when it comes to checking for "dings" it's amazing what a bit of spit and a quick buff with a tee shirt removes :wink:

Peter
prospero

Post by prospero »

It's not so long ago that having internet access was a novelty. I got my first PC in 1999. :P
Before that if I wanted a pot of paint or wotnot I would saddle up and drive 30 miles to one of those
shop thingies. (My car was made in 1999 :lol: ) Now I sit down at any time of day and order in about
2mins and a man in a van drops the item off. Usually the next day.
Internetting in the days of dial-up was best described as an adventure and buying stuff online was a
might risky. But since the advent of broadband it's a whole different ball game.

Can you imagine having to go to the bank in person to say, move money between accounts? Fill in all
the little slips? OK, there were more sub-branches about in them there days but today it would mean
virtually a day off work, not to mention about 10 quid for fuel.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Got my mobile with EE, their website is useless if you try to log on to your account, never get passed the "OOps something is wrong our tech guys are working on it"

A lot of maintenance is done on the broadband in the small hours, come in some mornings and my router needs re booting

We have all our web order come in over night, and we buy our postage online with Royal Mail, so need to print the labels, so need a good connection at all times

We are the same as poliopete we order everything online /email from our suppliers , except Wessex / Frinton

Can't remember when I last bought Wilkinson Sword blades in a shop...
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
prospero

Post by prospero »

:P Oh so it's not just me that gets grief from the EE website. :|

I've got two BB accounts and two mobile. Trying to log in to the right one always a puzzle.

Considering the nature of their business having a shambolic website doesn't exactly inspire confidence. :lol:

Time to look for a better deal methinks..... :roll:
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Prospero, you might consider Quickline as an alternative. I switched to them several years ago when BT kept promising and failing to deliver anything above about 1mb. I'm no getting 6-7mb which is fine for me but you can go upto 20mb. Quicklime use a point to point wireless system and I suspect they cover your area.

Alan
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk