Smart cmc not being recognised by smart software on laptop

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
boscawen46
Organisation: james frederick
Interests: framing,woodwork

Smart cmc not being recognised by smart software on laptop

Post by boscawen46 »

Hi,
I have a Smart 4060 cmc mountcutter and have downloaded the Smartovalver2nest cutting software onto a laptop to operate it.They have been connected together by both serial cable and serial to usb connector( drivers for the latter downloaded). In settings there is a tab called "find port" that when pressed shows the com port or usb socket the cable is connected to and that seems to work. So far so good...
After that nothing happens but after a short while the yellow error message comes as in photo up to inform that there is no communication.
The laptop is running win7 32bit .If anyone has experience of this or advice I would be very grateful.

PS I have tried to upload images but they have a yellow symbol by them meaning they have not I guess?
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Re: Smart cmc not being recognised by smart software on laptop

Post by JohnMcafee »

I've had mixed results with usb/serial adaptors. Some hardware can be a bit picky with port number, baud rate, and handshake protocols, but the port can be configured to work eventually. However, I have had hardware (till toll printer) that refuses to work with a usb/serial adaptor, while working perfectly well with a computer with a built-in serial port.

Have a look here for instructions on how to configure your serial port.

For test purposes, if you can, try an older computer that has the serial port built in.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: Smart cmc not being recognised by smart software on laptop

Post by StevenG »

John is exactly right, the USB option is merely emulated & it's not always going to give the correct response to a proper hardware request. Baud rate, control bits, bi-directional communication, I/O ports etc etc blab blab.

I'd probably suggest an expansion card with external ports

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth :)