trying to get mt Smart 4060 computer mountcutter going.

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
boscawen46
Organisation: james frederick
Interests: framing,woodwork

trying to get mt Smart 4060 computer mountcutter going.

Post by boscawen46 »

Hello,
I have a Smart 4060 computerised mountcutter and have asked a question about it before. Does anyone have this machine and if so can you tell me what software you use to run it please.
I am running a laptop on Windows 7 and would like to operate the Smart machine using this operating system. Is this what anyone else uses or is it better on another windows version (XP, Vista, etc)?
If anyone is using windows 7 would they be able to send me over the mountcutter software that would work on this as an email attachment so that I can try it out here. That would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
James
boscawen46

Re: trying to get mt Smart 4060 computer mountcutter going.

Post by boscawen46 »

Anyone have any advice or info? Thanks
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Can you post a picture of the machine?
Claim to Frame
Organisation: N/a
Interests: Framing

Post by Claim to Frame »

I will be honest, i dont think its a common mount cutter and therefore people are unable to give first hand advice.

I know when i was shopping around for a CMC, I didnt come across the machine you mention. So can only assume this is why you arent getting as much advice as you had hoped for. Is there manufacturer support you can draw on?
GUNNAR

Post by GUNNAR »

Hello James
These were originally manufactured in the Netherlands. Perhaps this will help

http://www.mat-cuttingworld.com/Smart-matcutter.html

Regards

Sarah/GUNNAR
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Do you have any idea what computer and operating system this computer was originally running on? To assume this problem is purely a matter of finding the right operating system might not be the whole story. Over the years, there have been different generations of motherboard hardware configurations, plus 16 bit, 32 bit and 64 bit processors, with different bus controllers and different device divers, which may, or may not be compatible with different operating systems.

Determining what is compatible with what may be very difficult to work out. I think it may help a lot to find out the specification and operating system of the original machine. You may be thinking that there's only one compatiblity issue causing problems at this time, but this may not be the case. If there is more than one compatibility problem, just fixing the one may not even enable you to identify that you have got anything fixed and you may still be running around in circles getting nowhere.

On earlier windows operating systems there used to be a terminal simulator, sadly I can't remember what it was called, or how you got into it, but I used to use it in the days of Windows 3.11 which was called Windows for Work Groups. I used it to test hardware responses, by typing in a hexadecimal code and in a seperate window there would appear the resulting response. I never fully understood all this, apart from the fact that the wrong response proved that something was wrong. This was a long time ago in the days of RS232 serial links. Hopefully this might trigger something in someone's brain who knows more than myself.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Just another quick thought, some comms devices within computers have test software within the software drivers, which is accessible through the control panel. As to what information these tests provide I'm not all that sure, but it may tell you something.

Was this CMC originally using a parallel port to talk to the computer, if so there's a lot that's very different about how a parallel port handles data and how a serial port, or USB port interfaces with the data and address buses within the computer. The parallel port controller won't even exist in on a modern day computer motherboard, so you may need to find an older computer.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
boscawen46

Post by boscawen46 »

Sorry about the delay in responding. Thanks very much all your advice about this.
I have managed to get it going now(software and machine.) Having fun setting it up / tuning it. A nice piece of kit actually.
Thanks again
James
PS If anyone does have one would be good to exchange ideas/hints though
Not your average framer

Wow, you've got it going. Big achievement!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Claim to Frame
Organisation: N/a
Interests: Framing

Post by Claim to Frame »

Good to hear its up and running :clap:

For an audit trail, it would be good to have the solution posted on here. That way, if members going forward had the same machine/issue a quick forum search may provide a solution :D