Choosing Valiani heads

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
artsmart
Organisation: ArtSmart OU
Interests: Framing equipment

Choosing Valiani heads

Post by artsmart »

Hi,

we need some help choosing Valiani Nexus 150 heads.

We mostly cut passepartout, so therefore we need 90 degree, 40 degree and/or 45 degree heads. As we'd like to make custom boxes, then the brown head is also a nice addon.

My main questions are:
1) Do I understand correctly that the 45 degree cut is more difficult than the 40 degree one? Which is more common in everyday use?
2) The difference between blue and red head - does the blue head make same quality cuts when it's meant for thicker materials?
3) Same questions about the 90 degree heads.

According to Valiani all the heads make equally good cuts on different materials. But that does not make sense as the different heads are meant for different thickness.
artsmart
Organisation: ArtSmart OU
Interests: Framing equipment

Re: Choosing Valiani heads

Post by artsmart »

Let me rephrase the questions:
1) Do I understand correctly that the 45 degree cut is more difficult on thicker materials than the 40 degree one? Which is more common in everyday use?
2) The difference between blue and red head - does the blue head make same quality cuts on thinner materials (1,4 or 1,7 mm mat) when it's meant for thicker materials?
3) Same questions about the 90 degree heads.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

we only have
Green 40 degree for everything

Yellow 90 degree with metal foot , so doesn't wear out

Brown creasing head , good for box making

Purple for debossing mounts

Gold pen head

top 2 we use all the time, day in , day out, the rest not very often,

The blue head ,45 degree, makes your bevels look nice and wide, but never got around to get one, so not missing it
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

We use grey and blue for most stuff, the extra angle on the blue head makes the mat board look thicker!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I don't have a CMC, but if I dd I would be very interested n the box macking head to make supports for object framing. Being able to produce really "wow" object framing presentations quickly and easily has got to be a really worthwhile thing. Many examples of object framing look great in their own made up box, or tray positioned behind a mount inside a deep box frame. It is quite easy to line the inside back of a tray, or box section with a piece om mountboard and fix the object in place producing a result which looks amazing, but the time element to do this can be quite small, if using a CMC.

At present, I make such trays and box sections using Obeche spacers for the side of the box, or tray and fix a piece of mountboard to the rear. Obviously this takes time. Making a box, or tray on the CMC will reduce this time dramatically. So a box making head may just be a very useful investment. To attract extra object framing business a few examples in your shop window should inspire some passing customers and create further inquiries. Don't just think of a CMC as a quick and easy way of cutting simple bog standard mounts, it is an amazingly creative tool in it's own right.

Cutting foamboard is not always really easy to get a nce clean cut on the edges. A CMC can really help with this, so a suitable deep cutting head will open up some interesting possibilities when cutting foamboard. Foamboard is also very useful for producing cradles and supports for object framing, a big advantage is when you want several identical support sections to support one object. Identical repeat sections is something which a CMC is ideal for producing so a head, which is able to cut 5mm foamboard can offer considerable potential.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer