Valiani support from Simons

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Valiani support from Simons

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Just been in contact with Joe at Simons regarding a small problem with our CMC (see my other post). He could not have been more helpful and made telephone calls to Italy then got back to us promptly with a solution.

We are impressed so far!
markw

Post by markw »

what was the problem - and how did you solve it?

Always useful if someone else gets a similar problem - might be worth putting some info on the Framing Oracle..
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Re: Valiani support from Simons

Post by Merlin »

New MatPro CMC ix 120 installed.

Updated from a single head MatPro120. I must say that Joe at Simons was true to his word. I ordered the Machine on a Monday. Was told that a direct delivery would arrive on Friday. Joe then phoned and said that the haulage company could not complete until the following Wednesday as we live so far down the South West ??.
It actually arrived on the Tuesday, as I said direct from Italy. Joe was booked in for last Thursday. He arrived at 0900. The machine was installed and running within 2 hours. It took that long because he was thirsty and drank so many cups of tea. :). He left at 2pm.

Impressions so far. A lot quieter machine and the range of heads quite impressive. Having said that I reckon on only using the 45 degree head and the 90 degree head. Not too sure about the others. Time will tell.

There is a big difference in the widths of the clamps. The old machine had wider clamps to about 5-6mm over the board. You also had a very nice recess where you could fit a tape measure to help you with 'eye ball' measurements. The new beast only gives you about 3mm overlap and already we have had board slippage/ travelling with the head. NO recess for a tape measure.....

The new machine is half the weigh as the bed is aluminium instead of laminated MDF/Chipboard. Definitely a plus.
We were lucky to get the Stainless Steel undersheet- this is mainly to protect the delicate aluminium bed from the cutting head should an error occur. -slipping mountboard. We also use one slipmat, maybe we will go back up to 2 and see if the slippage/travelling still occurs.

Installed with V4.4.3 software. The only difference from this and previous software is the head selection/driver. They were there just deselected and greyed out.

The head change is a doddle - 20 seconds, which no doubt will come down with experience.
With the new heads come a greater control over accuracy of depth of cut. That might not sound so important, yet V grooves on the old machine - even though calibrated - was a bit messy and a little uneven. Also on ovals/circles there was a fairly evident 'step' in the start of cut and finish of cut. That does not happen with the new machine.

Certainly a lot more thought has gone into the cutting head and once again the engineering is superb.

All in all. I have to give Joe at Simons 10 out of 10. Valiani only get 8 out of 10 I am afraid.
I really look forward to seeing the New build Software at the Trade show in February - if it is finished by then.

I have a strange feeling that we be made to pay for it and it will not be a free upgrade as per other CMC manufacturers.

NICO please note::
The next thing that Valiani needs to do, especially with the high number of sales in this country and the US market building so rapidly is to have a Valiani user group/forum. That way a lot of information could be passed between manufacturer and users. Using that system we could also build a library of our own designs.

Time will tell and I will keep you updated as we go along.
The previous machine ran for 4 years without one problem and the only reason I sold it was to upgrade and future proof the business.
John GCF
Mike@GTP
Organisation: Get The Picture Framing & Thegrumble.com
Interests: Framing, technology, electronics. Computer consultant, 3d printing enthusiast, and framer

Re: Valiani support from Simons

Post by Mike@GTP »

A know a lot of framers who recently purchased these in the US market, either as a first CMC or as an upgrade from an older brand. I was able to play with one at a local trade show, two weeks ago, and I can see why there is so much excitement.

The support forum is a great idea. I know the company has different sites in America, Italy, etc - so maybe they could add this feature to all of the sites.

Mike
Get The Picture
Frame shop: Get The Picture Framing RI USA
Administrator: The Picture Framers Grumble
POS & CMC comparison lists: Click Here