CMC's ..... Which One

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
osgood

Post by osgood »

John,
Thanks for clearing that up! I am quite sure that when I saw a demo a number of years ago the angle didn't appear to be anywhere near 42 or 45 degrees. The bevels looked about 2/3 of the width of my Rapido bevels and someone told me that the angle was 60 degrees.

I'm sure that Valiani do make good equipment, and I would check them out a little more next trade show in July in Sydney, but for the fact that the distributor of Valiani in Australia, now do not exhibit at any trade shows.

If I were to be in the market for a new CMC, which I am not, Gunnar and Wizard would still be the ones that would get most of my attention. Having had about 6 years of great experience with Gunnar, that brand would be a favourite.

The after sales service and help with Gunnar is exceptionally good!

Bells and whistles are another issue. There are some that can be quite useful and some that I will never use. It's just like graphic software (Photoshop, etc), there are way more facilities included than any one person will ever use, but different people will use different combinations of those facilities.

Did you purchase your machine or lease it???
osgood

Post by osgood »

Merlin Framers wrote:Ormond
What you were told about the Valiani was wrong. The standard head cuts at 42 degs.
John,
I have been told that my information was in fact correct. However some newer machines have had the blade angle changed from 60 degrees to 45 (or 42 approx.) with the 60 degrees as an additional optional. This change may not be available in some countries at this time.
Nigel Tucker

Post by Nigel Tucker »

osgood wrote:John,
I think that you will find that both Gunnar and Wizard cut at 45 degrees. I'm told that Valiani cuts at something like 60 degrees which gives a narrower bevel appearance, which I don't like.

The two brands I mentioned are the biggest and have a long track record. This is important to consider because I would always want the best possible chance of the maker being around for a long time. Some brands of CMC have already been consigned to history.

Just my opinions on how to select a CMC brand!
Hi I have had a wizard for 6 years and it has never missed a beat! the importers Framers Corner have been exceptional in back up if I had any queries and I looked at all the cmc's for a long time before making a decision, also Wizard staff are really nice people and nothing is too much trouble, which is a comforting feeling. Regarding the cutting angle, the only way any machine can cut extremely tight circles is by reducing the bevel angle whivh does not put so much pressure on the blade, but as a framer unless you want no bevel showing (which can be done with a reverse bevel), in my humble opinion a good bevel is absolutley imperative and this is how the Wizard cuts. It is the formatt for 99% of all the mats that I cut. regards Nigel