New CMC's

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Keith

New CMC's

Post by Keith »

Hi Mark and John.

I've been away on hols, and have just now found time to check out the forum.
How are you both getting on with your CMC's.
I would be interested to hear how you have found the Valiani, is it all you expected. I'm still undecided so any pointers would be helpful.

By the way Mark I've tried plastic once before and that was the last time, didn't like it at all.

Regards Keith
markw

Post by markw »

Keith
Valiani is proving to be a wonderful asset - it has exceeded my expectations.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hi Keith
I will only but echo Marks reply. Wonderful, it is true that a CMC is definately an asset to any framer.

I have just completed a 'contract' order for 100 12" x 10" mounts and backs. In less than 15 minutes. How long would that have taken doing it manually.

Only one very slight niggle with the Valiani. It stepped inwards on doing a circle mount. One phone call and it was fixed. I am very impressed with the machine and the engineering. Software needs a look at, but I understand that is now underway.

Also from what I hear, Fletcher Valiani is now giving Wizard a fair run for its money in the USA.
John GCF
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

John, thats an impressive speed.

Do you start with 10x12 blanks or does the machine do this for you?

I mean, can you just feed full sheets of mountboard into the CMC and have it cut all the mounts it can from each sheet?
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

I too was really impressed.

Once multi cut is selected, all you do is feed the whole sheet onto the machine. Press Start and away it goes.

It cuts the inside (dropout) and the outside. Once the mounts are done then with another 'click' it will cut the backing board. Each and every piece is exactly the same size.
John GCF
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hi John

Are you saying that in less than 15 minutes you fed in 24 full boards (9 per sheet for standard boards?) and had 100 bevelled mounts and 100 backs completed?
That is truly staggering - I had no idea they were so quick - who supplies them?

Joe
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Hope you don't mind all the questions, but...

Is the outside of the mount cut square or bevelled?

In cutting 100 10x12" mounts and backs, how often would you have to stop to change blades?
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

typo and brain fart.
The contract was for 50 mounts and backing. The brain made it 100 total and as I was typing it the 100 was put in.

However, the machine is still very quick. Am not in shop at the moment, when I am in tomorrow I will take a timing for the 9 mounts out of one sheet.

John, the mounts are cut with a reverse bevel outside edge. As for blade life, still working on that one. The same blade is still in from the contract job and still cutting sharp bevels with no dragging or rough edges.

I am told that the blade life is halved when cutting 'black core' mountboard. We shall see.
John GCF
sarah

Post by sarah »

Oh Mr Merlin you have brightened my day so much :)

*danders off into the sunset (or workshop) chuckling - Brain Fart - chuckles again :D :D *
Keith

Post by Keith »

Hi.
Mark and John, has the CMC made your other mount cutters redundant?

I ask because selling my 2 mount cutters would have a bearing on if and which CMC I may get. If they were old or well worn machines I would keep them as a backup but these are in as new condition and would be a fair amount of money sitting under a bench.

Regards Keith

Yes, I know it's late my daughter forgot her door key!!!!!!!!
More So

Post by More So »

The question you must ask yourselv is: "can I afford to be without any means of cutting mounts when the hard drive crashes?"

For all you are going to get for a second hand mountcutter, is it worth it to leave yourself without any backup?

Also, you might find the old mountcutter handy for cutting blanks.
You will never get the last word on a belligerent buffoon
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

If you mean have I got rid of the straight cutter or oval cutter. The answer is NO.

Living down here in the sticks, we are prone to power failures plus as More So mentioned, who knows when the computer or compressor or even the CMC decides that they do not want to play.!!

The oval cutter is in storage. The Keencut Gold, is hanging in the shop, ready to go.. (just in case)

To answer the timings of cutting mounts

From one sheet of mountboard - 12" x 10" with 2" borders. 9 in total = 3minutes 15 secs.

12" x 10" backing - outside beve cut only 9 in total = 1 minute 37 seconds.

How long would that have taken doing it manually. Definately a wise investment
John GCF
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

A vital point: -

Do not directly compare the speeds of CMC v manual. Remember that while the CMC is working, you are free to carry out other tasks. So, it is possible that, for example, the glass could be cut in parallel with the mount-cutting operation, yielding a huge boost in productivity.

(I know that this is easier said than done, specially in the early stages of ownership when there is real pleasure in just standing back in awe while appreciating the poetry in motion that the CMC provides.)
Nigel Tucker

Post by Nigel Tucker »

Hi everyone, i have a wizard cmc and its great. owned it for three years and love it to bits, would not be without it.regards Nigel