Own Designs

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Own Designs

Post by John »

In the time that I had my CMC, I found that, for the most part, the design templates provided by Wizard were so rich and varied that it was hardly necessary to create from scratch.

However, in keeping with the theory that it's the simple ideas that often prove to be the best, out of all of the samples that we displayed in the gallery, this is the one that turned the most heads.

Although this was an easy exercise on a CMC, I would not attempt to recreate it on my Keencut Oval. (Note that each ellipse is a different size and shape, and, of course, positioning is absolutely critical.)

(Please feel free to add your own designs to this thread.)
markw

Post by markw »

John - Did you cut this as two seperate mounts - if I cut this design as a combined double mount i would have score lines on the middle bars - It may well be that other CMCs software handle this differently, but the valiani is fairly clumsy when it comes to combined shapes. Cut as two mounts combined after cutting I get the same result - looks good.
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

I always cut my mounts separately, this one included.

However now that I'm using the manual Valiani, I cut double mounts stacked. I'm a bit uneasy about the way the bottom mount gets scored, but I do it anyway because of the convenience.
Sam Cook
Organisation: Framers Corner
Interests: .

Post by Sam Cook »

Hi John

It's good to see everyone discussing new designs, and I couldn't agree with you more about 'keeping it simple'. When I train new customers there can be a slight tendancy to go a bit OTT with some of the new designs at their disposal so I always show them the best simple yet sylish combinations, I think the old saying 'less is more' sums it up quite well!

Refering back to your 3 ovals design the Wizard has a very clever feature that combines shapes together at the press of a button. ie when you have laid out the 3 ovals as on this design, you can combine the shapes so on the top layer instead of cutting 3 seperate items it simply cuts round in 1 motion which prevents potential problems were designs overlap.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

You mean ott like this, Sam ;)

They were for a customer, honest!

Live long and prosper :shock:
Tech GUNNAR

Post by Tech GUNNAR »

Hi All

There are some nice examples here

Here is one of our mounts which we exhibit at trade shows and designed by one of our technicians all cut in one operation.

Kevin Pryce

GUNNAR UK office
www.gunnar-europe.com

John
Site Admin

Post by John »

A very impressive piece Kevin.

How long would it take to do something like that?
markw

Post by markw »

Sam makes a good point about the first experience of owning a CMC - it does anything you want - so you start cutting away trying hard to use every single function.

Well the result is predictable and you cant understand why people aren't impressed.

But the real advantage of the cmc is its accuracy, precision and speed. I rarely cut V grooves manually - No hassle now and customers seem to like them. Box liners - cut and folded they just drop into the frame in one piece. Multi apertures - That ability to design on screen allows you to get the balance of the apertures just right. You may no longer be using every function available but the ability to design simplicity is used to its full.

The next feature that I must explore is the ability to create in coreldraw then combine the printout of a design with the ability to accurately cut - huge opportunity there for overdoing things - must remember - KISS
Tech GUNNAR

Post by Tech GUNNAR »

Hi John/ Markw

Not sure exactly how long it took him to design but I imagine a couple of hours (really depends on the users abilitys in Coral Draw)

Markw -Coral draw is fun to play with and you can get some fantastic results as you can see from this part of the forum.
TIP - Always remember to smooth of as many vector points as you can before you copy it through to improve your cut quality.

Good Luck and remember practice makes perfect.
Kevin Pryce

GUNNAR UK office
www.gunnar-europe.com

kev@frames

Post by kev@frames »

John wrote:A very impressive piece Kevin.

How long would it take to do something like that?
actual cutting time is about ten minutes a piece. And you have to watch it like a hawk in case the head picks up any fallout.

15.00 plus VAT 40x30cm.
but worth it as the customer had 30 initially, and comes back for repeats from time to time.

ten minutes design and layout - clue: cut as a font letter ;) No Coral required for this one.
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

I forgot about that Kev, the way you can use True Type fonts - Wingdings, Webdings, and all.

Is that just a feature of the Wizard, or can all CMC's cut fonts?
kev@frames

Post by kev@frames »

Im not sure which ones can and cannot cut fonts.
But I suppose at the end of the day the only one we use in the shop to any extent is the photo2 font where the customers can put photos behind.
like this Image
some webdings and windings are good for extending the cut art library, but as pointed out by Mark (above) 99 percent of mounts most people want are rectangles with rectangular windows!
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Valiani has a whole host of fonts mainly in PLT format

They seem to go down quite well as bedroom door name plates.
John GCF
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Yet another one. Using COREL, imported the font 'Comic Sans' as in the top name

John GCF
kev@frames

Post by kev@frames »

Heres one for Robo...

Caz755

Post by Caz755 »

I have cut several of these for some local snooker teams..... what do you think??.....
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Nice one Caroline
John GCF
Manor Fine Arts

Balls

Post by Manor Fine Arts »

Hi Caz755

Love your snooker table mount can you tell me if each of the balls are cut with appropriate colour of card on the under side.

Its just the balls seem very small.

did this take long to design ?

Paul
Caz755

Post by Caz755 »

Hi Paul,

The whole board IIRC is 600 x 700mm.... the balls are approximately 7mm in diameter, spaced approx 2-3mm apart.

It took me around 15 hours to design completely, it is actually 2 cuts... the first being a double mount of the cream and brown board. The second, the 'baize' single mount, with the V-grooves in. Then I have to piece together the 2 sets to make up the triple mount.

The balls are then attached to the back of the green board in the right places! (off cuts of colours).

It is a tricky piece to cut, as occasionally the ball cut-outs move when the Valiani is cutting, so I have to be quick with it to catch it.

Well I say I have... I mean I had to be... I worked for the ex boyfriend doing this, and since splitting up, havent been there to cut one.

If you need any further tips, please let me know. (The surrounding cut-outs are standard 6" x 4" for typical photos)

All the best, Caroline.
kev@frames

Post by kev@frames »

very nice indeed! Thats a bit special, nice job.