Computer mount cutters

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
markw

Post by markw »

I shall now be on the lookout for campanologists entering my shop - Valiani have released a massive new library - bells whistles fonts fancy shapes - multi mounts etc - etc. And they can all be cut in one go - including treble mounts - face up - ovals with perfect edges - what more could you ask for?
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
Organisation: The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
Interests: Philately, Darts, Beer Making, Photography, Golf

Expanded Library!

Post by John Ranes II, CPF, GCF »

Mark,

I'll be the first to admit that most of us use CMC's to cut very standard things like rectangle openings, ovals, V-grooves, and multiple opening mats (mounts)....and that is not a bad thing :D CMC's really increase our efficiency on those items.

As you mentioned, Valiani (Fletcher/Valiani in the U.S.) has increased their library of openings, shapes and PLT files and this includes many designs configured by existing customers. When exotic mats like this one are cut on conservation quality board, monochromatic colors, it can be quite handsome....

I've cut the mat design above on a piece of Bainbridge white linen on the MatPro 150 and it is truly exquisite. Below is another within that expanded library. No question, that when truly complicated and good designs are already within reach, then it's much easier for us as retail framers to use these tools.

I realize that the number of CMC's in frame shop in the UK is not quite as high as the U.S., but it has to be realized that it is definitely a tool to move your business forward, regardless of which brand you select. I can't imagine opening a shop today without one.

Regards,

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
430 E Northland Ave
Appleton, WI 54911-2127 USA

Member: FATG & PPFA
The Frame Workshop
John Ranes Picture Framer Blog
markw

Post by markw »

John - It’s an interesting question - what would you include if you were starting a new business. Good board/glass cutter - efficient storage for mount board - pneumatic underpinner - trusty Morso - all the paraphernalia that we have become accustomed to - 21st century cuts in with all the stuff that makes the business customer friendly - CMC - you can cut just about anything the customer wants - no hassle - Integrated frame design - walk your customer through the design possibilities - maximise the potential of that CMC you have sitting in the workshop - and lastly cost the whole lot up using a pricing package that gives you an accurate price based on cost of materials and true profit margins as well as pushing the design parameters through to your CMC - Its the way my business is going - but I know a lot of framers who don’t want to involve high tech gadgets in a business that they regard as craft oriented - I hope there’s room for both - but I suspect that as the business gets more tech, less craft, then it will also get more big box - less small craftsmen - time will tell - in the meantime I will push my high tech craftsman business as far as it will go - hopefully enjoying what I do.
JonC

cmc

Post by JonC »

Could I ask the question AGAIN to all you expert CMC users

What is the mimimum number of mounts you would estimate a small frame shop has to cut per week to warrant a CMC.

TA ever so
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hi JonC. Probably the reason nobody has answered the question, is because I for one do not believe there is a Minimum number to warrant CMC.
Three weeks ago, I did just on 400 mounts, admittedly as a contract job. I know I will not see her for another 4 months. 2 weeks ago, 100 mounts. Last week only 35 mounts. If I averaged those out and gave you a figure, it would be unfair and false.
Another way to look at it is the time saved from the manual system. Just how aching would your arm be after 400 mounts (12" x 16"). Thats 1600 cuts on the fallout alone. Now its a click of the mouse. Each and everyone is exactly the same.
I look on the CMC now as another worker in the shop. Yes, initially expensive, but in the long run. Not so expensive. It doesnt drink or eat, or need to stop for a rest etc. Spend to Save.
The other reason we got the CMC was really the need to move forward and offer something that my competitors are not offering. Just look at the examples posted above. We are now being asked for mounts that are not the 'boring' rectangle or circle/oval, although they are still the bread and butter. I display a 'Mount of the Week' in the window and that works very well.
I am a small bespoke framer and do not regret the purchase.
John GCF
markw

Post by markw »

JonC - You can either afford to buy one - and make it pay its way - or you cant. I didnt sit down to work out the number of mounts I cut - my business is about custom framing and the CMC adds to my ability to cut complicated mounts quickly and very accuratley - I needed little persuasion once the price had dropped below £10.000 that I had to have one - 6 months on and I have no doubts that I made the right decision.
Sam Cook
Organisation: Framers Corner
Interests: .

Post by Sam Cook »

Hi Everyone

Well it's certainly good to see that there is a lively debate going on in the world of CMC's! As the UK & Irish agent for Wizard I obviously like to hear this topic being discussed.
I know that this forum isn't designed for people like me to use as a selling tool, however I really need to update a big misconception about the Wizard that keeps being quoted on here!
We now supply 2 CMC machines the model 8000 that sells for just £8500 and the 8500 that sells for £11500. Both machines take a jumbo board & are supplied with PC, training etc. Sorry if it sounds like a sales pitch but I thought it was important for you all to be properly informed that there is no £4500 price difference that has been mentioned!

Let the debate continue ......

Sam
JonC

cmc

Post by JonC »

Many thanls to all for your little nores and help
we are now looking at a Gunnar CMC
for the small framer it looks the best value
John
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

JohnC

Did you notice the 2nd hand Gunnar in the Sales/Wants forum?
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Following on from John Raines II comments above.
Here is the finished article, which I cut this morning.
I am sure that all the CMC's are capable of cutting something like this.
I have used the dark brown on the bottom mount, just to show off the clean lines of the Fabric White top mount.
John GCF
JonC

cmc

Post by JonC »

Hi all
Well I have gone down the CMC route. Just put the old toe in the water so to speak. Last week the Gunnar arrived. On rental May I add.. (First thing many many thanks to Sarah of Gunnar, That lass cannot spend enough time with her clients. Shes always available and very helpful. and always at the end of the phone. Even at weekends. Even though everything on the instalation did not go A1)
Yes its great to cut 3000micron mounts without fuss. Circles ovals etc all without a worry. My only little moan is the waste of mount board compared to selecting an appropriate size from the vast amount of off cuts I have and using the Fletcher by hand.
This I am told will come with experience of use.
Also I am a stickler for finishing one job at a time from start to finish. Cutting as amany mounts as I can at once goes against the grain a bit. No doubt I will retrain my mind at sometime.
Time will tell if we keep it. Cost does matter when you are a small framer. So we will see.
Johnc