Visualisation

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Framing Norah

Visualisation

Post by Framing Norah »

Has anybody had any experience with POS visualisation software? You know, where the customer can see on a screen at the counter how her completed job will look.

I know that this technology has been around for a while, and that Wizard has just launched its version in The States. However, any that I have looked at seems to be very expensive. An expenditure that would never be recouped in extra business generated by having this facility.

In theory, this sounds like a great idea, and I know that I would love to have such a system. Our American cousins on The Grumble are enthusiastic, but would it ever pay for itself in a typical UK framing establishment?
FN
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

PIF

Post by JFeig »

There are 2 competing systems now that Wizard has announced their program as of the Atlanta show.

The show prices are around $1,000us or less. Additional costs included a digital camera, cables and an extra monitor.

Lifesaver software introduced their program about a year ago. Many of the people of the US Grumble are very happy with the investment they made.

http://www.lifesaversoft.com
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Sam Cook
Organisation: Framers Corner
Interests: .

Post by Sam Cook »

Hi FN

We are the UK & Irish agents for Wizard so I had a quick look at their Integrated Framer visualisation software when I was at the Atlanta show. I would like to offer it over here but it needs some modifications for metrics.

If you wanted to give me your address I can send you a demo copy to have a play around with if you like, you will obviously need your own camera but the system does seem to work well. I would be interested to get your feedback!

You can mail me direct at sam@framerscorner.co.uk

Sam
Mike@GTP
Organisation: Get The Picture Framing & Thegrumble.com
Interests: Framing, technology, electronics. Computer consultant, 3d printing enthusiast, and framer

Post by Mike@GTP »

We have been using LifeSaver's Picture It First product for about 8 months now, and it paid for itself in the first 2 days. It saved 3 sales in just the first day, almost earing its keep. (before we even had the camera mounted on the ceiling)

It integrates with our pos now and prints a copy on the paperwork.

I highly recommend this technology, regardless of which product you choose. I think this will be a basic necessity much as vnailers, POS, and CMCs have become in the past several years.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Mike@GTP wrote:I think this will be a basic necessity much as vnailers, POS, and CMCs have become in the past several years.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the contribution.

However, you have put your finger on the essential difference within our business as it is practiced on each side of the atlantic.

On the UK side, only the first item on your list, vnailers (underpinners), would be considered a basic necessity.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

I have been playing with the Wizard Integrated Framer (demo) for a few days now (thanks to Sam at Framer's Corner).

Seems to be a fussier interface than LifeSaver's Picture It First, but this is bound to be less noticable with practise.

However, it does look great, and gives a realistic view of how the finished job will look.

Well that's not strictly true, there are no unwanted glass reflections.
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
Organisation: The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
Interests: Philately, Darts, Beer Making, Photography, Golf

Changing Industry - Differences across the pond!

Post by John Ranes II, CPF, GCF »

John wrote:[..........On the UK side, only the first item on your list, vnailers (underpinners), would be considered a basic necessity.
John,

Interesting to note that I had my 6th computer installed and networked into our POS system at our shop just yesterday. This will function our Virtural Gallery (Art Inventory) and Integrated Framer (Visualization) only. We utilize three POS computers at our design counters already, as well as a CMC in the back.

Interestingly, we still join frames with vises (glue and pins). Although we have a small underpinner, we opt for this manual method typically.

As Mike pointed out CMC's and POS systems have become very common place in North America, but to speak fairly, this practice has all come about during the past 6-7 years.

Regards,

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
430 E Northland Ave
Appleton, WI 54911-2127 USA

Member: FATG & PPFA
The Frame Workshop
John Ranes Picture Framer Blog
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
Organisation: The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
Interests: Philately, Darts, Beer Making, Photography, Golf

Embracing Technology?

Post by John Ranes II, CPF, GCF »

By no means are we alone, but our shop like a good number of others in North America is embracing technology agressively, especially in light of a flat economy and competition from all sides. It's one way to grow your business, and set you apart from the competition.

As mentioned in October we added visualization software in our shop and got it up and running in February (Christmas just had us way to busy to add this new technology.) We've already upgraded it by adding a 27 inch wide plasma screen for the customer's view....

In the picture above, taken from the staff side of the design counter, you see the small monitor to the right (staff) and the wireless keyboard used to activate Integrated Framer. Just off to the left you can just catch the bar code scanner hooked up to another monitor and keyboard to operate our POS program, Specialty Soft.

This picture is taken from the customer's side of the counter, where they can easily turn to the left to view the final design created in the visualization software. This station also functions for customers to access our art inventory through Wizard's Virtual Gallery software.

My estimate would be that independent shops using POS in North America might be up to 40%, CMC's perhaps equal if not more like 50%.

Regards,

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
430 E Northland Ave
Appleton, WI 54911-2127 USA

Member: FATG & PPFA
The Frame Workshop
John Ranes Picture Framer Blog