Sharing a Broadband Connection

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Sharing a Broadband Connection

Post by Moglet »

Hi all,

For those of you in the UK, what's the best way of sharing a single DSL broadband connection between two computers that are in separate rooms, but not too far from each other? Looking for cheapest method to do this. Service provider is Phone Co-op btw.

Also, would there be any benefit in increasing the bandwidth from 1MBit to say 3MBit or would 1MBit be OK between two computers?

Any advice greatly appreciated. :)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Re: Sharing a Broadband Connection

Post by WelshFramer »

If the two computers have WiFi cards then a wireless router is the easiest way. WiFi router/modems are getting quite cheap these days.

If you are just using email with some web browsing then 1Mbit should be fine. If both computers are watching video feeds then it could be a problem. However, even if the line was upped to 3MBit you might not achieve any greater throughput in practice. Actual speeds are often well below advertised speeds.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

I bought one of these http://www.intellinet-network.com/en-US ... et-adapter today (at Harvey Normans €110.00 after a discount) to extend our broadband to my office which is separate from the house at the bottom our garden, the office is connected for electricity to the house electricity.

It works a treat…..

I don’t know how two computers will work on a single broadband feed, the broadband we have (Eircom business package) is a feed to support up to five computers, in fact it supports many more than five, as we found our one night when Ivan and Lucy had friends around all with their computers…
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Sorry this it the Intellinet system I bought http://www.intellinet-network.com/en-US ... et-adapter
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

most broadband connections use a router ( generally you will get one free when you sign up)

most of them are wireless + 4 wired connection (ethernet)

the router will deal with multiple computers accessing the same connection

this is kind of normal practice now
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

I use the Intellinet system to boost the signal from the router to my office, the wireless signal is not strong enough to reach my office...which is quite a distance from the house.